Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Autumn in Waterton

For weeks Jessica has been begging and pleading with me to take her to Waterton.    She lives for Mommy/Daughter time in waterton and I LOVE that about her!   Unfortunately, September has continually gotten in the way of our best made plans.   This past Friday though we were blessed with a PLC day (which is really just another form of PD for teachers) which meant my Jess was off school and ready to play.  Woohoo!!!

I tried to talk the other kids into coming with us.  Sam readily agreed, with scout book in hand, as he had lofty ambitions of passing off the final requirements for his "Hikers" badge.  Abby on the other hand begged and pleaded to stay back (how can two girls be so different?) and Nate quickly joined "Team Abby."   With all the disappointment I could muster up, I said goodbye to my two slackers and  left for Waterton - determined to make sure Sam and Jess had the best time ever!!


Waterton was absolutely DREAMY!
I really mean it, September and October are the two.best.months of the year to enjoy this beautiful park.  The tourists (that's not me;) all go home, the wildlife is out making final preparations before winter, and the beauty of the fall season abounds.   (Doesn't the word "abound" make me sound so poetic?  I thought so.)  

We drove up Cameron Road and, straight to my favorite set of falls.   Jess and Sam both had their cameras with them and the three of us snapped photos from different angles and explored a bit.   The overcast sky was beginning to release it's moisture a little, but while the raindrops were small we took as many pictures as we could.   


It rained on us quite steadily while we drove back down to the town site.  
And while we ate at Zums;)

But then, then it all stopped, just as we were debating whether or not it was nice enough to swing by the stables.

I took that as a sign!

Initially I had told Jess that we would just be looking at the horses.  As we pulled up to the barn though, that plan was quickly upgraded to a short pony ride around the parking lot and meadow by the barn.  By the time I'd gotten to the counter to sign us all up though - I'd been talked into a full blown guided tour.   But only a half hour one!  (See?  I can be strong;)

Our guide was a friendly guy.  A high school student who, when finding out that we were Mr.Hardy's family, insisted that "Mr.Hardy was the Best!!"  According to him, Mr. Hardy made him almost want to take physics.   haha   He chatted lots with the kids as he led us back behind the tree line where we usually go to watch the Elk each fall.  It was pretty cool to see this part of the park, which we normally never would.   


Jess and Sam were absolute rock stars with their horses.  Jess was warned that hers (seaba) stops frequently to eat and that she would need to do her best to not even let Seaba get one bite.    Jess handled it beautifully and would occasionally turn back to me and let go with one hand, long enough to shoot me a thumbs up or peace sign.  She was in heaven!!!!

Sam did great too.  He made me laugh when we were headed home and, for no reason at all, said, "Mom.  You looked really pretty riding a horse."   haha.   Again, I took this as a sign.

Clearly, I'm meant to spend my days in Waterton.
Or with a horse.
Or maybe, just with my kids.

Something made this a day great for Sam, and made me beautiful to him.  
I'm hoping for a repeat experience sometime soon.


If I'm lucky, hearing about our adventurous trip to Waterton will make Abby and Nate feel excluded and extremely jealous.   Perhaps even enough to make them want come with us next time!  

No comments: