Friday, February 19, 2016

January via the iphone

Because January flew by, all I have to show for it are a few photos from my phone. 
I'll try my best to recap:



1.  Right around Christmas time I booked my entire family in for their annual dental checkups.  BIG mistake!   Though my kids love going to the dentist, most of them required a follow up visit or two this time around, which has meant that our holidays and the entire month of January consisted of visits to the dentist.   Nate had to get two teeth taken out (due to overcrowding) and was nervous about it in a big way.  I was so proud of the way he went, quivering lip and all, and handled it so bravely.   Last week, we finally spent our last afternoon there for the year (touch wood).   It made me laugh though, when the other night, John and I ran into the receptionist at all smiles.   He jokingly came up to me and commented on how nice it was to actually see me outside of the dental office.    

2.  Nate has been hugely independent lately.  He bathes himself, does his chores on his own, cooks his own ichiban, hot dogs and hot chocolate.... what else does a 6 year old need to know?   Well on one particular evening he was building something that involved cardboard and a whole lot of duck tape.   Suddenly he came running to me, crying that he'd cut his finger really bad!   And he definitely had.   Poor boy took a pretty decent chunk out of his thumb.  He cried from the pain of it most of the night.   It's so hard watching your kids suffer and not being able to take their hurts away.   :(  

3.  Jessica's good friend Courtney Rowe was sick and needed to spend a week in the Lethbridge hospital.  While visiting her, Nate got a kick out of the fact that this was the same hospital that he had been born in.   He made me take a picture of him out front.   It's only after taking this picture that I realized that a) he was wearing shorts in January  b) his shorts were on backwards   c) those gumboots are actually Jessica's  and d) he had no shirt on under his spring Jacket.    Seriously!!  How did we get all the way to Lethbridge without noticing the state this kid was in?

4.  Despite Nate's crazy antics, he sure is a lot of fun.  I love the days when I don't have to work and him and I have our mornings together before he leaves for school.  On days like that, Monopoly, Sorry, War and Go Fish are our activities of choice!

5.   Jessica has been enrolled in the Children's Theatre Academy for the past few weeks.   The play she is a part of is called "On the Radio" and her performances will be later in March.   It has been fun to watch her learn her lines and practice her music and dance moves.    She even experiences her first audition and she recited the poem "Snowball" by Shel Silverstein.   Two other kids also recited the same poem as well.  Clearly us Moms were all on the same page and turned to good ol' google for inspiration.  haha.   She nailed it though and I was soo proud of her!

6.  There are a couple of days in each week that are busy for my kids from 8am-7pm.  School, cubs, activity days, young women's, choir, piano lessons etc - all happen on a Tuesday or Thursday.  For the most part, I love the fact that my kids' commitments fall efficiently on those two days - but it does mean that, while they all rush about after school, Nate is largely left out.    One Tuesday afternoon, after dropping the other three off where they needed to be, Nate talked me into making a key lime pie with him.   I couldn't get over how delighted he was.   For the record, there is no better distraction, when you are feeling sad or lonely, then Key Lime Pie! ;)

That's January for ya!


No comments: