Friday, September 2, 2016

What the kids might say about helping in Grandpa's Garden - Part of our Summer 2016 Top Ten

Grandpa's garden is a beautiful place to be this time of year.  
I'll admit, we don't hang out here too often.  With the exception of a few spring things ('tilling, planting glads and potatoes) Grandpa really is the one who does all of the work around his blessed back yard.  He does the planting, the weeding,  the watering...and I suspect he spends time singing to his garden too.   How else can you explain year after year success like this?

(In case you've ever wondered what 1400 gladiolas look like.  John and him planted them in May)


Despite the fact that Grandpa largely takes care of his garden and yard all by himself, he has allowed us to help more this year than ever before.   Which has been a bit of a happy surprise for us!
Just ask my kids.  I'm sure they would tell you that they have LOVED picking and snipping beans for hours and hours.   


They may even rave about how much fun it is to husk over 280 cobs of corn!

\

Sam would be happy to show off the corn husk people he learned to create.


Abby would likely declare her love for earwigs (kidding;)


And Nate might describe how hard the work was.  Seriously tough work for this kid;)


Without a doubt, I know they would excitedly exclaim how Grandpa's yard has THE BEST climbing trees in town!   Jessica wants to pick up his trees and move them to our yard.  (If only we knew where we'd be living next year, she'd likely pursue this as a real possibility)  Every single one of the kids have selected their very own personal limb on each of the four best trees.   

Hopefully they'd also describe how great it is to just get to work a little bit harder than usual for a few days.   Am I dreaming here?  Would they ever utter gratitude for something like that?  
Well- I'm certainly grateful for that opportunity to see my kids work hard.  Apparently it is possible!;)  

In fact, two days working in Grandpa's backyard has convinced me that what my kids need most in life is MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO WORK!!!  That realization alone is what makes this past weekend a summer highlight fo' sure!


No comments: