Sunday, November 26, 2017

Autumn Walk up Red Rock

This past weekend was the first weekend in weeks (months even) that John had nothing to do.  
Volleyball wrapped up this past Thursday which meant that on Friday John came home after school and had absolutely no where to rush off to.  

It was so weird!!

This past weekend also conveniently happened to be the first weekend in weeks (months even) that some of the roads in Waterton have re opened.   The little road leading to Pass Creek is now open as is Red Rock Road.  I should clarify, these roads have been reopened to non motorized traffic only, but that was enough for me.  

I was free to walk around as much as my little heart (and feet) desired!

John was so fun to have around this day.   As soon as he heard that I was wanting to walk up Red Rock Road - he instantly agreed to join me and even returned home from fishing with Sam on time (on.TIME people!) so that we would have enough sunlight still to hike in.  

We left our van down at the gate and walked along Red Rock road, seeing the fire damage in this area for the first time.   I was sad to see areas that have been wiped out, but encouraged to see many patches of earth still intact.   The fire must have moved very sporadically.  


We've been told not to expect many open hikes this upcoming summer, but I could tell this Red Rock road will be a fabulous place to stroll with the kids this summer.   John and I decided that this summer we will just pack a lunch and spend the day with the kids hiking as far up Red Rock road as we can.  I can just picture the fields of fire weed and other wildflowers that will bring life to this area again and there was something cool about seeing these views on foot.  It all looked so different and we noticed so much more when we weren't whizzing along at 50km/hour.   


There was hardly a stitch of snow in sight and I was elated to see so much color in the park.   Along with the char and the black, there is still green, lots of orange and even some red winter berries showing their happy faces again.  


I'm glad Autumn could linger a little longer in the park.   





No comments: