Christmas Day is typically super chill around these parts, and being the creatures of habit that we are, it always plays out in the exact same way.
First:
The kids wake up and excitedly gather to cuddle/visit until Grandpa's 8:00 am arrival.
Once Grandpa is here, the kids race into the living room, breaking through the wrapping paper barricade and head straight for their stockings. (This year I did do something a little different. I wrote a letter to each of my kids sharing some of the things I have enjoyed about them this year and encouraging them to remember the true meaning of Christmas. I like the effect this had on our morning and I just may write them a letter for their stocking every year now;)

Second:
After stockings comes the presents, of course! I struggle every year to know what to get my Father in law for Christmas. Theoretically each of his kids combine funds to provide him with an experience of some sort, but that tradition seems to be waining a little. I always feel the need to make sure there are presents under the tree for him, but what do you get the man who needs little but deserves so much more than I could ever give? It's a major conundrum every year.
This year we gave Grandpa a basket of milk chocolate treats, some work/garden gloves with extra grip, a book of Mormon study guide that him and John have been interested in, and three tickets to see our local theatres summer productions.
Third:
BREAKFAST PIZZA!!!!!
Not sure why I didn't take a picture of that beautiful Christmas tradition. I must have been in a slacker mood on that morning;) It is one of my favorite things about Christmas.
Fourth:
Our annual Christmas drive to Waterton! Not to be confused with our monthly drive to Waterton, our Christmas drive always happens on the afternoon of Christmas day, always includes Grandpa, and usually proves to be a great time for animal watching. This year we drove past a a massive herd of Elk and watched three large dogs (I like to think they were wolves) play on the frozen lake.
It was a very frigid afternoon with gusting winds, but as per tradition, we just had to pose for a picture or two before heading home.
Fifth:
The rest of the day was spent playing with gifts, reading and playing board games together.
It's the same story every single year, but it is a story that I NEVER get bored of.
It's the same story every single year, but it is a story that I NEVER get bored of.
Love this holiday time with my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment