Thursday, May 30, 2019

Native Honor Night

I love my job.  

It isn't easy.  It isn't always fun.  There have been more challenges arise this year for me than I ever thought possible.   BUT... I do love the students that I work with, and because of that, I love my job.

Earlier in May, the school held it's annual Native Honor Night, a special evening dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of our graduating First Nation students.  It is a formal evening (many of these students value this event over the actual grad ceremony in June) that includes dinner, a program, traditional dancing, and gifts for each grad.    This year there are 27 of them from our school, and the hope is that every single one of them will graduate.   
  Oh, I pray that they will!   


I am proud of these kids.  Many of these students are the first ones in their family to graduate, and every one of them is overcoming substantial difficulty to do so.    To me, they are grit and determination personified, and they don't even realize it.  

I am not sure what this next year has in store for me and my work.  Things feel a little unsteady right now.  I hope I will be able to keep working with this group that I love so much.  

No comments: