Thursday, May 30, 2019

Student Council Retreat

For the past year, Abby has been serving on her school Student Council, which has been a great opportunity for her.  Last weekend, the School sent 12 Student Council members on a two-night retreat, and I got to be one of the accompanying chaperones.   

We spent the weekend staying in a hostel and exploring the Kananaskis, an area in 
Alberta that I had not explored before.  It was so much fun! 

The trip involved a lot of food (orange french toast, wings, pasta night - all at sit down restaurants) soaking in the hot springs, exploring the Banff Hotel, hiking,  watching the newly released Aladdin in the Banff Theatre, and late nights playing every ridiculous game those kids could conjure up!  

I owned the role of "Werewolf" like a boss, pathetically competed (and lost all sense of pride) in a sing-off, and scared the living daylights out of all 12 students with the best late night prank ever.  


Mr. Sloan took the group up to "The Vault" which was a fascinating cave created back during Cold War time, with the intention of using it for a place to store Top Secret Government Documents.   It was fun to walk to the end of it and explore the different "rooms."


I particularly LOVED getting to just be with Abby.  
She is fun.  She is so good.  And she is a genuine friend to me.   I'll happily accompany a handful of students and stay up later than any human should - for a chance to get to be with her!

The Kananaskis is definitely an area we will be visiting again!

No comments: