Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Sadie goes Prehistoric

My grade 11 girl is growing up SO fast that I sometimes want to sit down and cry.  
I'm not talking about a pretend cry either.  I am talking about legit, real-life, tears of sorrow cry that will pour the day I have to turn this girl over to the real world.  

She surprised me a couple of months ago (yes, I am a tad behind on journaling?) and invited a boy to "Sadie's!"   This is a big deal because Abby has not always attended Sadies, she has not ever really gone on a date, and she certainly has never before considered asking a boy. 

I mean, last year, when Sadie's came around, Abby did go to the dance but she went alone and somehow came home married to her baguette!    Sound strange?   If only that were the strangest tale a kid of mine has come home and told me.   Short story:  Every year at Sadie's there is a theme and "marriage room" because a theme wouldn't be crazy enough.   Students partner up with their dates and two teachers (in character according to the theme) perform a mock wedding allowing the dates to be married, only until the end of the dance.   Last year the theme was around the world, and Abby had gone as a cute little french woman - hence her baguette for a date.     
...Does that seem less strange now? 

This year, I almost cried when Abby said she was planning on inviting a young man.   And I'm not talking about a pretend cry either.  I am talking about a legit, real-life, tears of relief cry.

Traditionally, the girls have to ask the boys out in a creative way, so Abby drafted up an examination for her perspective date that had a secret message encrypted in the answer that this young man would only know IF he got the answers correct.   She then got a favorite teacher of hers to call him in during FLEX and have him write this "missed" examination.   

A few days after her ask, Abby was presented with a giant, and I mean GIANT wad of saran wrap.  It was a darling acceptance that kept Abby occupied for about three hours and literally a years supply of bubble gum which had cleverly been hidden throughout each layer of wrap.   


Our basement stank of cellophane for a whole day!

The theme this year for Sadie's was "Prehistoric," so a few of Abby's friends decided that as a group they would go skating and then they would end up at our house for dinner and games before the dance.     I tried hard to make it as fancy of dinner as possible.   Jessica - a party planner at heart, really got on board with this.   


Jess helped create menus, she decorated, and along with two of her friends, she waited on these couples, ensuring that their meal went as smoothly (and awkwardly) as possible.

These three were hilarious, all crushing on the same boy, trying to act like professional waitresses and being way, way too giggly on the job.  


After dinner, they played some games for a while before dressing up and heading out to the dance. 



Sam went to the dance as well, but he kinda just decided last minute to go, threw an animal print piece of cloth on over his hoody and called it good.  (Boys!) 

I've learned that when my kids go out to a dance, a piece of my heart always goes with them.
Even though my body never likes staying up until 12:30, my mind doesn't stop asking all sorts of questions:  Did they get there safely?   Will they get home safely?   Is Sam asking girls to dance?  Is Abby being asked?  Are they having a good time?   Has anyone married a baguette yet?   
Not until all my chicks are back together and everyone is safely tucked in bed, do I ever really relax.

This parenting thing is a rough gig, I tell ya.
Sometimes, it makes me want to cry.


No comments: