This was the day I woke up 40.
I'm not trying to be dramatic or anything, but I really did wake up feeling different.
Older, but in a good way.
I've been looking forward to my 40th birthday for years. Perhaps that is because my Mom never got the chance to see 40, not even close. Perhaps it is because I have just come out of a decade of surgeries in an effort to combat my genetic predispositions. Whatever the reason - aging RULES!
Bring on the grey hair, the laugh lines, and the added weight. I'll take it all and relish in it.
My sister and her kids covered my lawn with Birthday candles and 40 signs.
I left it up straight into the next day. Both Jewel and Crystal always go all out to make this day a special one for me.
The kids created a Birthday Wall of shame fame for me, Jess made one of her beautiful banners, and the table had fresh flowers.

John had prepped for days to make sure that our family had a special Birthday outing that evening out at Payne Lake.


He filled the cooler, making sure to pack everything needed for hot dogs and smores, pulled the paddleboards out of storage, loaded the boat and tackle, and even remembered the Birthday Cupcakes. Say what?! Cupcakes even? What a guy!

After we fished and ate and paddle boarded our little hearts out, Abby took the kids back to town. John and I stayed out on the boat until the sun went down.
While John fished I watched the water and the sky until it almost hurt to stare anymore.
Then I just listened.
Water lapped against the boat.
A nearby by let out its soulful call.
A pair of geese passed by, honking their way past us.
Three drunk guys off in the distance hollered and laughed as they rocked their rowboat so much that it sunk.
Sigh....Serenity...Serenity...
It was all a perfect end to a beautiful day.
I like 40. I think I will be happy here.
2 comments:
Happy, Happy Birthday! I happened to be in Cardston for Makenna's grad pics that weekend and saw your birthday candles, but didn't realize that was your house! I am so glad you had a fantastic day! :)
Thanks Melissa! How exciting that you have a graduate!!!
Post a Comment