This past month I created a new "thing" in our home.
Due to the fact that several of us have summer work/school commitments it has become increasingly difficult to find time to do things together as a family.
I've snuck away for some hikes with Jess and Nate.
John has snuck away to go fishing with the kids every now and then.
Sam sneaks away to go golfing.
Abby sneaks away to paint.
Abby sneaks away to paint.
For the first summer ever...we are not often together and I've been struggling with that, just a little.
So...we now have (drumroll please and thank you) ..."FAMILY ADVENTURE DAY!!!"
Sam thinks it is super cheesy, but that is legit the name I call it.
Abby typically gets 1-2 days off during a week. From her list of off days we theoretically all agree on ONE day that week that we will spend as a family. (I say "theoretically" because I doubt Sam would ever say he has agreed to this, but you know how it is...)
So, a couple of weeks ago, we all enjoyed FAMILY ADVENTURE DAY #1!!
Minors Pass and Chinook Lake (Locaation: Crowsnest Pass Alberta)

Sam thought it was cool that Minors pass was a hike that started within the town of Coleman. (Okay, technically he thought that was lame, but you know how it is...)
Apparently, this 1.6 km trail is the very trail that local minors would walk every day on their way to work. It is a lovely little trail that follows a creek and ends a darling little waterfall.

The forest smelled delicious and provided lots of fallen trees for the kids to show off on.

We may have started this hike with a couple of doubters but we ended with all four of my happy outdoor enthusiasts. We just had to let them warm up to this whole "Adventure Day" thing.

After our grueling (not!) stroll to the falls we traveled further up the road to check out Chinook Lake because I suspect that the only way I'll be able to keep John enthused about "Family Adventure Day" is if we make sure it involves a lake for fishing.

We dined on sandwiches, carrot sticks, chips and cherries and then spent the rest of the night exploring this gorgeous place!
There is a well-groomed (5km) trail that takes you all the way around the lake. Some of the kids and I liked this walk so much, we did it twice!

Nate took a little dip. (He just couldn't resist).
We all took our turns paddleboarding.
John disappeared for a couple of hours to do his fishing.

We all just pretty much found our own way to be happy ...while still being together....because you know..."Family Adventure Day" and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment