As mid-August approached, I knew that my time with Abby in our home was drawing to an end. Her move date (August 25th) was circled in red on the calendar and little piles of things she would need to take with her began to pop up throughout the house. Gulp.
We had often talked about travelling together in celebration of her graduation, but covid and finances (or lack of) prevented us from being able to do something grand. She graciously settled for a weekend trip to Edmonton. We would go up together, drop some of her belongings off at her new apartment, and have some fun along the way.
Our first stop was in Calgary to visit the Van Gogh display.
It was SO cool! We visited several rooms, each one immersing us in changing pieces of artwork.
It was inspiring, and I loved being able to share that with Abby.
After visiting the art show, we got her a membership at Costco, dined on sushi together, arrived in Edmonton, set up her new room, met her roomates and then she left for an all night party with her newfound friends. I stayed back, in this unfamiliar place that was now her bedroom, and cried myself to sleep. What an emotional game this parenting thing can be!
We made it back to town in time to stop in at Jewel's place where she had gathered all the Rausch cousins together for a final goodbye. With Ava away at school, Mya about to serve a mission, and Mason and Abby both moving up to Edmonton, we had all been feeling nostalgic for the good ol' days of "cousin camps" and get togethers. It was nice to sit in the back yard and reminice and wish them all the best of luck!
We had a great summer with John's sister Rachel and her family, who have just moved to town. The night before Abby left- we stopped Dave's Drive In (where she was working her last shift) and left some inspirational notes on her car. You know, "Phone your mom often," "Always wipe your face." You know, the most important lessons one would want to pass on.
We had one last dinner with Abby, Grandpa and the Stevens'.
And the next morning, by 10:00 am, she was gone.
It was a tearful goodbye.
Almost traumatic.
We all felt a sense of finality as we considered the days and weeks ahead without the oldest sibling.
How life for our family would never quite be the same.
Sam made sure to giver her some specific instructions.
(AKA: a list of things for her to buy for him.)
And then, there were three.
I wandered around the house, after Abby left, for about two hours and just sobbed.
Then, I went down to her room (to perhaps feel closer to her) and saw the potential for my very own office space. A quiet corner of the house where I could get me school work done.
I still miss Abby a tonne, but I mean- this room has been nice, too.
Hello, Mom cave.

















No comments:
Post a Comment