For one glorious week, Sam was a part of the Varsity boy's baseball team.
He LOVES this sport, but as the season began, he grew increasingly concerned about his grades and future viability as a University applicant. Shortly into the season, before their first league game, Sam let his coaches know that he would not be able to remain on the team.
He was disappointed but also resolute, and though I felt sad for him, I also felt determined to support his effort to make such a hard decision for himself.
He LOVES this sport, but as the season began, he grew increasingly concerned about his grades and future viability as a University applicant. Shortly into the season, before their first league game, Sam let his coaches know that he would not be able to remain on the team.
He was disappointed but also resolute, and though I felt sad for him, I also felt determined to support his effort to make such a hard decision for himself.
He did manage to attend a service project in which the team helped move stock for K&D Implements.
And while making the decision, he did travel with the baseball team to Oregon for a spring training retreat. At this retreat, the boys met with professional trainers, held practices, attended a Major League game, and visited the bubblegum wall in Seattle as well as Pike's Place Fish Market.
He came home grateful for the opportunity to have learned more and to have gotten to know the fabulous baseball coaches. After Sam quit the team, a couple of his coaches told me that they had been so sad to see Sam go as he possessed qualities that were essential to the team. It made me glad to hear that others could see these attributes of Sam's that make him such a great kid on and off the field.
As a parent, I am convinced that good coaches make the world go 'round!
















No comments:
Post a Comment