The day I finished my practicum, the kids, John and I went into Lethbridge to serve at the Lethbridge Food kitchen. I remember feeling so grateful that I was being blessed with a degree and I wanted our family to serve others who had far less than us.
The Lethbridge food kitchen was new to us but it was a really remarkable place. 90% of the food served is donated by people and businesses in the Lethbridge area. Though the lead chef each night was a paid employee, everybody else that helps to prepare and serve food 3 x a day, 365 days a year, is a volunteer. It was fun to be a part of that, for just one evening.
Nate and Jess handled the drinks, John cut the meat and I ran plates from those dishing up, to those who were receiving. Everybody had a job to do. I was a little surprised/impressed with Jess and nate's coffee making abilities. Who knew?
It was so very humbling to witness so many homeless. At first, I was trying not to stare at them, not to make them uncomfortable. Partway through the evening though, I realized that what I wanted was for them to know that I did see them. They were seen and known and their place in that chair was important.
It was a great experience and I can't wait to take the family back around Christmas time to do it again.
Though we aren't considered rich by worldly standards, I am thankful to God for giving me a life that is free from addiction and isolation.
No comments:
Post a Comment