Monday, December 15, 2008

Which is worse?

We are in a major deep freeze right now and I mean MAJOR!  We are talking -40 degrees at times.    We've had such warm weather up until now, perhaps that is, in part, why this has been so hard for my poor self to adjust to. Still despite the frostbite, and the crunchy snow (I can't stand crunchy snow), it does feel a bit more like Christmas. Let's be honest. As much as we complain about the weather, none of us wanted a brown Christmas. Did you?

It's been hard on the kids though to not be able to go outside and play. I haven't even taken them places for fear of having to unload little frozen ice cubes that were once my children. (Cute little ice cubes mind you, but still) They were particularly antsy today, and combine that with the dreaded 5:00 "dinner prep time"- things were not looking good for a moment there. I decided the kids needed to enjoy the outdoors a little bit. So in desperation, I brought a bit of the outdoors to them.

This is actually one of my favorite activities to do on a really frigid day. All you need is some bowls of snow, and some colored water and the kids take it from there. One year I actually dumped snow into our tub. Things haven't gotten THAT bad yet:)


So, my sweet little ones went from crying and arguing over which movie to watch, to crying and arguing over which colors each person got, and who got the bigger bowl.

Progress. ...I think.

3 comments:

shauna said...

What a great idea! Paige would love it! Thanks for making her day today!

Joanna said...

That is a good idea!!

Dick Family said...

Great idea...gonna have to do that tomorrow...right before dinner...say 5:00ish when my children also become little horned devils and start screaming and crying...thanks for the tips!