Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A complete Bust. ...or was it?

Looking back on my previous post, it appears I may have been a little bit too hasty in declaring valentines day the start of our "weekend of family togetherness and cleaning." I think everyone got the message loud and clear because we got not a single call or visit all weekend long. On all accounts, and according to MY carefully laid out plans we should have made some major progress. Why didn't we?

I got sick. Real sick. Probably the sickest I remember being in a long time. It was bad. I don't like complaining, and I don't like to go on and on with details that don't matter, but I was...sick.

soo...

Nothing got done ...by ME at least. John on the other hand, had other plans.

His plans included this awkward little living area just to the left of our entrance. And his plans required that little yellow tool box.



(Do you like our giraffe print lino?)



This is a better view of the wasted space in our home, that we've never quite been sure how to use. It's been a TV room, a playroom, but mostly just an annoyance. Perhaps the only advantage to this space was it served as a great stage for Aunt Rachel and Uncle Brent when they would come to visit.



They like to perform for us. They dance.

Oh how we will miss the dancing.

Because, just as the chills set in and my body started to ache...John got to work. What a stud! ....Um I mean first he moved IN the studs.



Then he built the frame. Jessica tried to help...but didn't. I know this because as I laid there in my bed writhing in pain, (did I mention I was sick?), I often heard John plead with the kids to stop walking all over things, and to give him back his tools, and to "stop swinging that thing around." That's just what I heard from the other room as I drifted in and out of a deep and laborious sleep because I was, you know so ill by this point.


This was day 2. Now here I had moved my pathetic ragged body to the living room where I spent a large chunk of time assisting from the couch. I was definitely burning a fever by this time....oh um I mean John had made tremendous progress getting the first wall up and secured.
I couldn't help but notice that Jessica is STILL in nothing but her diaper. I mean honestly John. tsk tsk. I realize you are putting up a little wall, rubbing my back when I need it, feeding the kids as well... but did you have to stop at dressing the baby?


Some people just can't multitask ever.


I think at this point I managed to make it BACK to my bed.


This next picture I took AFTER I got back from the emergency room. Ear infection, Sinus Infection, Strep throat AND bronchitis. Is it even possible to have that many things wrong with you at once? If it weren't for the fact that I felt like I had all those things wrong I wouldn't have believed it myself. But I'm not one to go on complaining about me.
This looks FANTASTIC!




Here he is stuffing it with insulation. I've been on antibiotics for about 8 hours. (does anyone still care about that fact?)




I thought this was worth documenting. Sam was actually helping and Jess is actually dressed. Life must be returning to normal. Wait a minute. Sam's vaccuuming. There's nothing normal about that!





This has nothing to do with construction but then again half of this post hasn't either. I took this picture yesterday morning and laughed ...and felt a little sick after too. (I do NOT recommend clicking on this image) I'm simply posting this to show you what congestion looks like.


She doesn't know congestion.
I know congestion.
But this isn't about me. It's not like me to go on and on about my suffering. In all honesty I'm just trying to ham it up and scrounge up all the sympathy I can. In truth, I realize I probably had it pretty easy. Mother Teresa incarnate (AKA my sister Jewel) left breakfast, lunch and movies on our doorstep. My sister in law Luci left movies and the most delicious and sinus clearing Salsa. My visiting teacher brought a hot meal at the most convenient time, and of course there was John.


John.

that amazing man.

Cook, father, substitute mom, Carpenter and "nurse...man" extraordinaire. Without John nothing good would have happened this weekend and it would have been a complete bust. In reality though Valentines day and Family day were spent learning something very important about our little family. The Dad in this home Rocks. He's the beam that keeps us all sturdy. The Insulation that keeps us warm. The Mud that...holds us all together.

I was trying to use puns because...John likes puns.


Really though, isn't that what makes a marriage great. You know, when one person is down the other rises up. Compensates. Keeps things going.


John did that this weekend.


And he built a new room too.

and I love him.

And tonight when I pray I am going to be very thankful that I have him.
I'll post finished pictures when the project is done in a day or two. My job is to mud and tape and prime and paint. I'm totally amateur when it comes to this stuff but I'm feeling better you know, so it's a amateur job I'm happy to do.

What? What's this?

Is that me? WORKING?


And the heavens burst forth into singing...

Yes folks. It's true. Finally I helped.
It's like...totally a miracle!





9 comments:

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shauna said...

It sucks to be that sick...but it sounds like you were taken care of. As for john...Wow! I'd say that was a pretty productive Valentine's day weekend.

Although...I'm wondering if it is John's way of getting you back for "surprising" him with the painted room. I'm thinking you had all these plans to declutter and he had all these plans to build you another room. So... he brought home a few bugs from the science lab at the school to ensure you kept to your place...aka your bed and the sick couch. I'm thinking he probably had the "antidote" in his pocket all along in case the mixture went horribly wrong but it looks like you are feeling better again.

And now you have another room to paint and surprise him with...how exciting!

Dick Family said...

First comment - WOW, is John amazing or what!!!

Second comment - You poor lady, holy sicko batman!!! I hope you start to get feeling better soon!!!

Congrats on the new room, that's so resourceful of him!!!

You cracked me up from the get go on this post!

Jordan and Luci said...

OH Tan, you poor little sicko. It was kind of weird to have you that sick. If you want, you can post the message to prove to everybody how bad you sounded...hahah!

David and Cheryl said...

All I can say is Diddo to all the other comments so far! It sounds like you weren't well at all! I'm glad to hear that you're starting to feel a bit better! Also, what a superstar John is! That room looks amazing and I can't believe how fast his progress was! I am so impressed!

Anonymous said...

I love home projects! It's looking great -- and, if it makes you feel any better, I can totally relate to the being super sick thing too! I'm finally on the mend as well, I think, and can't wait to feel normal again. (As normal as you can feel when you're pregnant, I guess)... :o)

Lorin said...

Very impressive John! That's pretty much "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" speed.

Of course it helps to have a great photo crew documenting the progress and providing excellent color commentary.

Nikki said...

Truly, I feel so lazy after reading this post.

Gina and Aaron said...

Holy cow!!! I just clicked on some of the pictures and noticed that you not only just have walls that went up, you also have electricity in them. I am so super impressed!!!!! Nice work John!!!!