Saturday, September 19, 2009

Abby started piano lessons this week. Her teacher lives a few doors down from my sister so the highlight for Abby is that she gets to walk to Ava and Mya's house each Monday morning after her lesson. I'm not kidding- that is going to be enough motivation to keep her practicing like a good little girl ALL year. And bless her heart,, she needs the practice! It's an exercise for me in patience as I sit with her and watch her plunk out...each... and...every...note...with such caution. I'm hoping that deep down in her is some inherited talent from her Dad and her Grandma Marilyn. Heaven knows it isn't going to come from my genes!


This weekend we enjoyed a nice wiener roast in Waterton. The kids ate very little. Abby spent most of her time cooking hot dogs and marshmallows for everyone else. Off in the distance Sam practiced his jedi/light sabre moves with two roasting sticks, and Jessica tried to master the art of the s'more. She didn't get far.
The leaves have not yet turned the stunning fall colors yet, but they are beginning to. The Elk have started gathering in the lower meadows, and I'm hoping that in the next week or so it will be perfect for pictures!

Friday evening I got to take family photos for a family who isn't even related to me. That doesn't happen often! I was a tad bit nervous, as I really didn't know this family well, and lets face it, I'm really not a photographer. But practice is something I'll never turn down. It turned out to be a LOT of fun.

After we were finished with pictures, John pulled out the old F27 Stryker, because it has become customary to fly EVERY time we are up by the Prince of Whales. Everything was going fine. The kids were enjoying the show, John raked in a few compliments from people watching, the sun was setting, all was going well.

We had noticed a woman in a motorized wheelchair was driving along the edge of the cliff in hopes of getting a picture. Unfortunately for her, someone's PLANE (going at FULL SPEED) HIT HER from behind!

Made her bleed!!!

I didn't know what to do as John apologized profusely, and Sam kept shouting, "Whoa...Daddy Clipped her!"

"Well this is awkward" was the only thought going through my mind.

Luckily this woman was a champ and handled the whole thing so graciously. I love people like that.


I think. I mean, no law suit yet.


No news is good news...right?

5 comments:

Jewel said...

Super cute photos Tanis. You did great (as always!!). Love it!

Lorin said...

Good luck with the piano lessons Abby. That's looks like a pretty cool keyboard you've got there.

More great pictures as always Tanis.

Re: John, I have two reactions. Anyone offended or outraged by reaction A please continue on to reaction B. Everyone one else may disregard B, thank you.

A: Congratulations on hitting a moving target with your strike her plane John. Although, I mean, how fast could she really have been going? I'm sure I'll be even more impressed when you manage to take out someone on say, a motorcycle or at least a 50cc scooter. Good luck with that.

B: OMG how could you! You really should be more careful John. I mean, going all kamikaze with your flying war toy on a poor defenseless obviously "challenged" female type. You are so evil etc... Yeah, I think that should about cover it.

Tanis, John and Family said...

John here: Thanks Lorin for you analysis. I'm not sure, but I would probably react somewhere in between reaction A and B (A.3, or Aa perhaps). I haven't developed a chronic habit of flying my airplane into disabled people in wheelchairs, and hopefully this is the last time it ever happens! It was embarrassing, to say the least. I'm just glad there weren't a lot of people watching at the time (although just about everyone who saw it has been quick to mention it when they've seen me later... I'm going to have difficulty changing people's first impressions of me as a RC Pilot.)

Twyla said...

hey Tanis,

The picture looks GREAT, with one exception, anyway you can make me look skinnier! I should have sucked in my belly a little more.

You can let John know that the kids had a blast with the plane and they talked about it all weekend. Sam's comment about clipping her was a big hit!

Oh and let John know that when it comes to first impressions that has definitely been the best so far!

Laura Leavitt said...

poor old lady...lol.
Your pictures are really great. I want to learn to take pictures soooooo bad it drives me crazy sometimes.
Of course you went to Waterton...they should call in Taniston. lol. I am so funny. I do love it there.
That is exciting for Abby.