Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Go Canada!

John and I have gotten very caught up in watching the Olympics this  year.    We don't have cable, as I only order that when it is General Conference time,  but we have instead been watching the coverage online.  In fact it is not rare for us each to be seen lugging our computers with us from one room to another because we do not want to miss a single moment.   I don't know why I haven't enjoyed it this much in previous years.  Where have I been?   Have the Olympics always been this much fun?

 It is incredibly inspiring to see how skilled a person can be in their own specific field.  These athletes are all so accomplished and good at what they do.  Doesn't it make you want to find something to be great at too?


For me, without a doubt my favorite event to watch has been the Ice Dancing competition, in which these two Canadians took the Gold Medal!    When I was watching this event the other night,  Abby was laying in bed beside me NOT SLEEPING (the little stinker), and as she watched  along she let out a breath and said, "Whoa!  They are even better then ME!"    (I love how Abby has only recently managed to complete a lap around our local rink without assistance and suddenly she's an expert:)

(Photo Coutesy of the Vancouver Sun)



 She's right though.   It was a very moving Dance. One that I can't stop watching replays of.  In fact, I usually turn it on now while I cook supper, and try to dance along a bit on my own.  (Believe me, it's tough without a partner, but Nate gets a kick out of watching me.)

Even better then this amazing skate though, was when Virtue and Moir accepted their Gold Medals.   They both seemed so completely overjoyed and the crowd was crazy for them.    I was so happy when they stood on that podium and our National anthem began.   They sang O' Canada right along with everybody else in the arena and they sang it so enthusiastically, it was contagious!  I am convinced that we have the most beautiful anthem ever written.  

 Definitely, by far, my favorite award ceremony.   

So what Olympic moment has inspired you?    






2 comments:

shauna said...

My favourite is still when Alex Bilodeau won gold. Maybe it is just because of all we have been through with Olivia but when I watch him with his brother, and seeing his brother there cheering him on, I get teary-eyed. Olivia and I happened to turn on the computer again just as Maelle Ricker's race was beginning so we got to watch her gold medal run together. I enjoyed sharing that with her. And lastly, my kids are enjoying watching the curling competitions with me. We LOVE watching curling in our house. It makes me happy to share the Olympics with the kids and see their excitement. (Oh and getting to hold a torch...that was cool now.)
The End (the novel is complete!)

Lahni said...

I actually cried when Maelle Ricker got her medal. I love watching that Canadian flag go up and hearing a whole stadium of people singing the national anthem.
(On a side note one of my best memories EVER was being at a Flames game during the playoffs and singing O Canada with all those people - I was tearing up then too!)