Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Fort AND Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump

We recently took the kids to the Fort Museum in Fort MacLeod and had a great time!   John and I hadn't been here since we were both kids, and we were pleasantly surprised to see how kid friendly it was.   
We had fun touring each cabin and exhibit and the riding demonstrations were very cool!


They had a little booklet for the kids that contained pictures of various items throughout the park.  IF the kids could locate every item in the book, they got to choose a treat!  It was a great way to keep them interested as John and I tried to explore as much as we could. 



This photo I love.     I love how Nathan is freaked and genuinely wants out.   Jessica has just gone and figured out how to get out.    Sam on the other hand doesn't want to simply squeeze between the bars.   He's clearly aiming for a authentic jail break.   And Abby is perfectly content to remain behind bars.   


John and the kiddos in front of the Cavalry.   
Man I wish I lived back in those early frontier days.    John would have been a handsome cowboy.   

We had planned a picnic for lunch but the rain started to pour as we left the museum, so we decided to eat in the van and drive 10 minutes further to the Head Smashed in Buffalo jump.     The kids enjoyed that museum as well-though I didn't take any pictures so I clearly must have been feeling a little worn out:)   

That's 2 of our summer items checked off the "To Do" list.   
And in one day!

How efficient are we right?

1 comment:

Lorin said...

That jail photo is great! I hate to admit that I've never been to the fort museum. I guess it's just one of those places that you always drive by thinking you can go anytime and end up going never.