Sunday, September 11, 2011

The end of Summer

We've had such a fun week you would hardly know that it wasn't summer break still.
Of course, it helps that Monday was Labour Day,  thus providing an already much needed break.  I think it is just part of being married to a school teacher but I LIVE for any and every holiday.  In fact,  I truly don't understand why people have to work or attend school on Halloween.  Or St. Patrick's Day.  Or during National Volunteer Week for that matter.  
 (Yup.   Perhaps you haven't heard that the 2nd week of April is dedicated to celebrating the volunteers in our country.    Call me crazy, but I just think having the week off to actually go "volunteer" somewhere actually makes a lot of sense.   I'm just sayin'.)

Anyways.   Labour Day.  Luckily- there was NO SCHOOL!   
I knew it was going to be a good day when I woke up and didn't have to pack a single lunch bag;)!!

We took the kids to Frank Slide  and they had a fabulous time exploring the interpretive center and walking/driving along the rubble.    I was impressed that, for the first time ever,  it felt as though we weren't just breezing through a museum.  The kids actually wanted to learn about what had happened to the people who had lived in that town.    So Sad!  


On the way home we pulled over to check out Lundbreck falls and ended up spending more time there then expected.    John of course had to do some fishing and so the kids and I spent an hour or so searching for snakes.    Luckily- shortly before leaving they got lucky and a snake swam right up to where John was.   The kids were elated!

And I was disgusted.   
(I don't care what my kids or ANYONE says about it - snakes ARE slimy!)



The rest of the week was spent:

* Harvesting the garden
* Going on walks
*  Making lots and LOTS of trips to and from the school dropping off back packs and forgotten lunches.   (Have I mentioned I could use a break;)  
* Playing at Wally's Beach!   (It was perfect there yesterday and the kids are determined that we go back this weekend.)
* And cleaning!   I got a burst of energy and cleaned out every closet/cupboard and room in our house.   For the first time in a long time I feel like I might actually possibly maybe be a bit organized!

 I've been thinking a lot lately about the fortunate life I get to live.    Sometimes I get too distracted with the "hard" things going on, and I easily lose sight of all of the blessings I'm surrounded by.   

Perhaps that's why I look forward to each and every holiday so much.   
 It gives me the chance to reacquaint myself with what matters most!


(Though I do think another BREAK is in order;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been going through an organizing stage myself! So fun. :) I love my holidays too -- I'm missing my man and my girl with school back on, and can't wait for the holidays!