Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Every day moments....and the Calgary Temple!

                   




A couple of nights ago Nate refused to go to sleep, which lately is unusual.    He kept insisting he was hungry but no matter what we offered- it wasn't what he wanted.   Finally at 10:30 pm he asked for "noodles."    Did we cave and give our child Ichiban in the blessed middle of the NIGHT?
Totally!
As John and I sat with our heads drooping to the table, re-watching Elder Uchdorf's most recent talk-Nate happily slurped up his noodles.   Every .last. one.   
Then it was a hug and a kiss goodnight and that was that!

********

The second photo is one I snapped one night as I was waiting for John to join me for our nightly episode of M*A*S*H.   First though, he had to check out all his favorite 9/11 conspiracy theorists sites. When I snapped the picture, he was explaining (in incredibly boring detail) just why exactly it "defies all the rules of physics to accept that the twin towers collapsed because of the planes that flew into them."    Something about implosions, and liquid cement, and blah... blah ...blah.....   Seriously though- I love it when John gets all passionate about an issue.   All I have to do to get him riled up is say "9/11" and WHAMMO!   His jaw clenches firmly, his eyes get intense, and the wrinkles on his forehead get even deeper.   It's beautiful.  (He's beautiful.)

********

Jessica came home from preschool the other day sporting the most adorable self-made Turkey Hat EVER!    So far, ALL of my kids have had their turn making this hat at school and I truly look forward to seeing it each and every year.    In fact, John and I BOTH remember making hats of our own, just like this one, when we were little!  
It made me think of all the things I used to do when I went to school that don't seem to be done anymore.    (Like reciting the Lord's Prayer every morning before announcements.)     It sometimes makes me sad that most of those things I remember aren't a part of a typical school day anymore.     
 It's nice to see though, that the beloved CONSTRUCTION PAPER TURKEY HAT is still going strong;))!

********

Back in August, John and I spent a couple of days in Calgary sans children.
The first night there -we went out for dinner and then drove over to the Temple building site to see how construction was going.    This picture is a month outdated now,  but it gives you an idea of how amazing it's going to be.

I love it already!


John has a tournament all weekend so I will be watching Saturday's General Conference Sessions sans "the handsome one".    

Any idea how to keep four um...."lively" children happy for four hours:)???

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Conference packets help keep the kids busy! My aunt always find the website for me: http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8010
This year they even have an adult one! As for the twin towers, John sounds a lot like my own husband on the subject.

Tanis, said...

ooh Thanks for the link Jennie!!!