I don't know what is up with Nate lately but he has been a real turkey. (And when I say "turkey," that's really just short for "BULLY!") I don't know if this is just a foreshadowing of what the Terrible Two's will be like, or if he is simply trying to establish a bit of dominance around here, but he's taken to hitting, kicking and hurting anyone who dares to even breathe in his direction.
Unfortunately, he usually chooses to exert his punishments on all kids younger then him, though lately he has gotten brave and begun to attack Sam. (can't say that's entirely undeserved;) I've tried to redirect Nate and I swear I've walked him through the process of apologizing I think about a gazillion times in the past week. I know he's familiar with the concept of "sorry" because I now hear him say it to his 'victims' AS he is hurting them!
He'll walk up to some poor cousin or friend and say "Horry." and then... WHACK!!!
or "Horry." and then SLAP!!!!
or "Horry." and then SLAP!!!!
(You get the picture;)
I'm beginning to question his sincerity. In fact, I'm beginning to question whether this little boy has a conscience of any degree inside that cute little 30lb body of his.
The other day he had been particularly mean to Sam and I'd grown tired of the same old routine of making him apologize. So, I stepped things up to a full blown 'time out' - which little Natey certainly didn't like. As we sat there in his room staring each other down I figured that perhaps finally I had made some progress on the issue. With his little head in my hands I looked straight into his deep brown eyes and asked him...no begged him to 'please stop hitting people and to be a nice boy.' He gazed up at me so fervently that I was immediately filled with hope that he had in fact seen the error of his ways.
Then, without even a smirk or a blink he reached his little hand up to my face ....grabbed my nose....and HONKED it! And hard too!
It was at that moment that I realized that nothing, absolutely NOTHING I have said to this point has penetrated that steel trap mind of his. Perhaps nothing will.
I've resorted to praying for him as well as those he comes in contact with.
I've resorted to praying for him as well as those he comes in contact with.
Heaven help this stage to pass quickly!!!
Fortunately though- there are still moments in a day when the sweetness within him shines through and he is cute and lovable once again.
Lucky for him!


1 comment:
I love Nate. He needs to come over to Auntie Jewel's house.... (or maybe you're scared he's learned all these behaviors from Dane!!!! Sorry!)
Post a Comment