Friday, July 13, 2012

They're still the center of my mine

A while back the flu went through our home - affecting every one of the kids and myself.
  But not John.   It NEVER seems to get John!    I remember  that Monday afternoon, when I rushed around all over town trying to get all my errands done before that nasty bug hit me too - because I knew it would.   I had to make all the preparations for my family to get along without me for a day or so right?     Sure enough, an hour later - I came home tired.   So very tired.

I crawled into bed, just as my body started to ache, and spent the rest of the evening and next day there being as pathetic as I could possibly be;)   At one point- John came into the room and asked me how I was doing, and I told him that if he really wanted me to be better, then he would sit beside me, stroke my hair and say, "there there....poor little bird...."  
John didn't do that.  He refused to! (The nerve;) 

Instead, what he did do was - go into the kitchen, make supper (sole and grilled veggies), set the table, and feed the kids, all while helping them with their after school homework.   From my room, I could hear them all gathered in the kitchen laughing hysterically as John uttered all sorts of crazy threats.  Like, when he told Nate that if he didn't eat all his food then John would spank his bum until it turned red!   Of course John was kidding, but it was enough to get the kids acting all sorts of crazy.   Then after they ate dinner, I could hear them all happily working together to clean up, and do the dishes.  I could tell that Sam got distracted and had started using the broom for things other then it's intended purpose, and John had to bring him back to the task at hand.   Still - they got the kitchen clean.   Then, all of the sudden, I could hear the tinkling of our piano as Abby sat own and practiced her recital piece that she was due to perform in just a matter of days.  

I laid there shocked.   And frankly, a little disappointed.  
Where was the bickering about who got to say prayer?  
Where were all the complaints about how gross the meal was?  
Where was the tantrum about having to practice the piano?

I tried to identify what it was that could have possibly led to the synergistic, harmonious feeling that seemed to encircle my family that evening, and they only conclusion I came up with was that I wasn't a part of it.   It was a hard realization to see that life does in fact go on without me;)
 Not only that -but that it goes on rather smoothly!    OUCH!

I sometimes reflect on that evening as I laid in bed and listened as John took over and handled everything so marvelously, and I really have to commend him for the way that he always makes every situation better.    

And sure, I recognize that I may not be the center of my families universe like I'd originally perhaps thought I was....

...BUT they are still the center of mine!
(John and the kids watching lightning strike during a summer evening storm)

No comments: