Wednesday, March 6, 2013

We're a family of 8 now

My kids LOVE pets, and have ALWAYS wanted one.   
In fact, for the past 6-10 years, we have endured endless conversations with the kids about what kind of pet we would ever allow the kids to have.
A snake?
An iguana?
A Dog?
A Bunny?
A bird?
....a Hermit Crab....?

We've never agreed to anything.  It's not that John and I are against the idea of a pet.   I told the kids that we are perfectly happy to let them have a pet, so long as it fits the criteria we established.    That criteria being that any animal living in our home... can't shed, must not make noise, must live in one single isolated place, must require living in water to survive, and must require minimal feeding.

Within the confines of those guidelines - they have always been welcome to chose whatever pet they want!!!

Imagine our surprise when, for Jessica's Birthday, she asked to have a Fish for a Pet!   
I applauded her profoundly wise choice, and when her Birthday arrived, she accompanied me to Petland where she picked out her very own Beta.

Jess's fish is a beautiful red thing that swims a lot and seems happy in his little tank.    For the first couple of days, Jessica called this fish of hers "Hot Stuff," and it puzzled John and I that she would even come up with such a name.   We were very much relieved when she changed his name to "Flames."

Surprisingly enough, Jessica is remarkably responsible when it comes to taking care of Flames.  She insists on being actively involved when it comes to cleaning Flame's bowl, and she hasn't missed a feeding yet!     She keeps reminding me, that it's because I promised her that if she could take care of a Fish for a whole year...then maybe....MAYBE I'd let her get a hamster.     (Let the record show, I recall NO SUCH CONVERSATION, and I've begun secretly praying that Flames does not make it the year;)


As soon as Sam saw that Jessica had a pet, he insisted on having one of his own too.    Without any hesitation, he cashed in all of  his hard earned tokens (which our kids earn when they've demonstrated responsible behavior) and he bought himself a blue Beta.    He named his pet fish Poseidon which I thought was a perfect name for a fish.  (Poseidon was the name of a mythical Greek God who's domain was the ocean.)       
Sam and Poseidon get along just fine.    
I Poseidon doesn't seem to mind that Sam is rarely ever the one to change his water or feed him, and Sam likes that Jessica is not the only one who can boast about having a pet.    To tell the truth though, Sam does seems slightly disappointed at how unexciting a fish can be as a pet, and he keeps complaining that his fish just doesn't do anything.

We'll see how long these new additions last, but I can't help but think John and I are pretty fantastic parents for jumping into this whole "pet thing" so ambitiously. ;)

2 comments:

Jordan and Luci said...

Just to warn you I have had the pleasure of knowing 4 beta fish all of which committed suicide...I even warned a co-worker who had one and her fish's life ended the same way mine did. I'm just saying don't be surprised if you are vacuuming one day and see the fish outside of it's bowl. Consider yourself warned!

Tanis, John and Family said...

sigh.....if I could be so lucky! ;)