Friday, May 17, 2013

Front yard flowers. (In May)


I have a love/hate relationship with May.

I loathe it because of all the busy-ness that it brings.   Sports, coaching, schedules, concerts, ceremonies, recitals, later bedtimes, house projects, mowing, pruning, and weeding.   I never answer my phone any more (and people thought I was bad before!), my calendar is full, and the piles of laundry to fold are once again reaching epic proportions.

I love May though, with all my heart and soul, because of the very same things that make me feel so busy!   The sports, the concerts, the ceremonies, recitals, later nights and yes - even the mowing pruning and weeding.  

I'm thinking I need to just focus more on the moment, and enjoy the wonderfulness of spring without letting the busyness of it get to me.    These flowers that have popped up in our front yard help. 

I used to think these flowers were called Hyacinths, but now I don't think they are.    All I know is that I stole them from the yard of a member of my ward, just days before she moved away. 
   I guess I should have asked her what it was that I was stealing;)  


This lovely green foliage has already doubled in size, and I'd be perfectly happy if it overtook my entire flower bed!   Again, I have no clue what it's called, but it reminds me of lettuce.    


The tulips on my front lawn make me especially happy each year.    I still think back to the fall of 2010 when I was struggling with poor health and a crippled body.   One particularly pathetic morning, I looked out my window and saw a neighbor of mine, on her hands and knees, planting tulips for me to enjoy in the spring.     


The kind gesture made me happy then, but even happier now!     
Aren't tulips beeeeeautiful!!!!!

These flowers are definitely part of what I LOVE about May!!!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I think the purple flowers are an Iris, not sure what the green ones are though -- gotta love spring!

Tanis, John and Family said...

Iris! YES!!!! THANK YOU! haha

Anonymous said...

The purple ones are irises, and the second one is stone crop.

Mandi said...

Hey Tanis! The purple ones are irises, and the green one is called sedum (or stone crop)....I only know because they likely came from what is now my yard! Ha ha. Oh, and I have a bunch of different sedums...love them! Come get some more if you want! :)