This past Wednesday, Sam celebrated his 8th birthday!
Eight!!!
It's crazy to think that eight years ago I had a 2 year old and a little newborn baby. When Sam was two weeks old, we moved from Edmonton to Calgary so John could get his teaching degree. Every day John would go to class, I would put Abby in the stroller, strap Sam to my tummy and walk the two blocks up to Market Mall. I liked to spend my time there letting Abby play in the kids place while I cuddled with Sam. Then we'd get frozen yogurt, and I'd spend some of John's student loan on clothes before calling it a day and heading home.
Why am I sharing all this?
Well...because that was Eight YEARS ago, that's why!!
And would you believe that back then - I thought I was sooo busy.
(oy. perspective eh?)
Sam is truly a special little guy, and has been such a blessing in our home. No one else can make me cry, yell, or laugh as much as this kid, and I love him for it!
We had Jewel and Kendall and their kids over for dinner on his birthday. He'd requested a supper of pancakes, bacon, hash browns and Dad's homemade orange Julius. Instead of birthday cake, we had home made sugar donuts. (Perhaps you can imagine how some of us felt by the end of the night?)

(We got a kick out of this donut that came out in the shape of an 8. Coincidence? I think not!
The highlight for Sam was opening presents.
John and I flaked out and gave him money and his first set of scriptures. When he first opened the scriptures he excitedly proclaimed, "Yes!!! Now I can read scriptures with my DAD!"
I suppose that was kinda sweet but all I could think about was how I was going to have to start reading my scriptures a little more (or at least in front of Sam more often).
I don't want John to get all the glory every time, you know?

Oh and next to the scriptures he LOVED this box of pop its that he got from his cousins. We could barely make out what he was screaming, he was so excited, but it had something to do with "finally being able to blow everything up."
Not to be forgotten, Nate reminded us of the injustice of having to watch somebody else celebrate a birthday. He couldn't believe those gifts weren't for him, and got more and more upset with every one opened. I really shouldn't laugh at him, but I just love how narcissistic little three year olds can be.

My entire family got together this week for a two day reunion, so we decided to tag Sam's baptism on to the end of it. We were so grateful for all of our family who helped out with the program, and all those who helped Sam feel so special that day.

John was the only Bishopric member around this weekend, so he ended up having to conduct as well.
John baptized Sam, and as per Sam's request, Grandpa Max confirmed him. 

Sam took this day very seriously, and I was so proud of the thought and consideration he put into it. He was certainly a proud little guy!!
Love him!!
No comments:
Post a Comment