Saturday, August 3, 2013

Waterton with the FamJam!

The fun with Dave's family continued on Tuesday when we ventured out into the chilly morning for some family photos.   Everyone was super thrilled about this, especially the older kids and Dads, but Sarah and I tried to remind them to save some fun for later;)   

Actually,  despite the fact that only 2 out of 12 of us really enjoy these little photo sessions, and despite the fact that I made this family follow me to all sorts of crazy locations, AND despite the fact that we all had to climb a barbed wire fence (possibly trespassing?) just to trudge through tall wet grass and weeds.....Despite all that, their pictures were great!!
I mean, is this not the best looking family ever!!!

That afternoon, we went out to Waterton for some more fun.    We first drove up to Red Rock so we could hike to Blackiston Falls!   Nate LOVED walking with his older cousin Jake, who tolerated Nate so patiently;)    I had a great time trying to identify the wildflowers I saw, and marking them in my "twitcher."    At one point, my Father in Law Max pointed to a tall plant with buds at the top, and told me to come look at it.    In fact, he told me to feel it!   So...I did.    I rubbed the leaves...felt the stem... felt the buds at the top...but I still could not identify it.   


Finally, I asked Max what it was. "Oh that?   ...It's stinging nettle" he said.(with a SMILE on his face!!!)
 Well played Max.   Well played. :)  

After returning from Blackistion falls, the kids all wanted to play on the rocks and in the water a bit, so  I left John with them and went for a walk along the trail that loops around the canyon.    I paused on the bridge at the half way point and took some pictures, and then continued on.     I hadn't gotten very far when I heard a low growling noise to my left.     I glanced over and could see the bushes beside me moving.   I looked ahead of me and saw a group of people stopped far up the trail, signalling to me that there was a bear!     Ahhhhh!    Luckily there was a chain link fence along the trail protecting people from falling into the gorge below.    I did what any sane person would do.   I hopped that fence, hunkered down under a tree, and hung on for dear life!     No sooner had I done that, then a big BIG bear (I can't remember if I'm exagerrating it's size or not;) came right out onto the trial, just feet away from me, and exactly where I had been!!!    
As soon as the coast was clear, I hopped back over the fence, onto the trail and ran to my Father in law.  He told me that he'd seen that bear too, and knew that it was headed my way.    He contemplated coming to find me, but then decided that I'd run into it regardless.  haha.   (Is it just me, or does it not appear as though my Father in law has it in for me? ;)

At any rate, the important thing is that I'm alive and lived to exaggerate tell the tale!


Other things we did while in Waterton:

* We enjoyed ice cream at Big Scoop!!!  (I ran into two former roommates from collage which was fun, and we also ran into a very fond friend of John's family that they hadn't seen in years)

* Max treated us all to fried chicken from Zums!   Yummm!

*  We played in the water and skipped rocks

* The guys mastered their "slinging" skills, thanks to David (who slew Goliath!)

*We did the token stop at Cameron Falls.  

* Jessica and Brooke had their own little picnic up by the Prince of Whales hotel overlooking the townsite.    (It was darling;)



* And we snapped this fun little photo!  

I love how fun Sarah is, AND how the 4 kids in front are all pretending to be Gollum.
Oh and I love how calm and normal John and I look in comparison.     

This was a fun fun day!   

No comments: