Earlier in the summer, Abby announced that she wanted to do the "Triple Crown Challenge" which involves hiking three extensive hikes in Waterton, in one season. Abby's original goal was to hike these hikes back to back, but she did do one of them a few days before the other two. Still- very impressive!
I joined Jess, Abby, and John on the first hike - Carthew Alderson.
This hike starts up at Cameron Lake, ascends for 1/3 of the way, and then descends for the final 2/3 of the trip. I thought this meant it would be easier, but I have learned that descending a mountain is just a different kind of challenge. My knees were screaming at me by the end of the day, but man, what a day it was!
One of the things that I LOVE about hiking is that I get to see places that I would not normally get to see. Take this view for instance. From now on, whenever I am up at Cameron Lake, I will know that THIS is what it looks like, on the other side of the mountain.
I'll remember what it felt like to scale the ridge and have lunch at the peak.
I'll remember how fun it was to stop at three lakes on the way down (Carthew and Alderson lakes) and sit in the icy cold water while John fished.
I'll remember where the wildflowers flourished, and where my favorite spotted saxifrage grew.
All these new sights and views that I wouldn't have been able to see without the climb.
(Cue Miley Cyrus;)






.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment