Dear Kids,
Well, this week has been something else.
1. The Strike:
The teachers’ strike started Monday, and by Thursday, the government pulled out their “secret weapon”—the dreaded lockout. Translation: they hold the keys, and we’re stuck outside until they say otherwise. Dad and I haven’t felt this vulnerable since Abby was four weeks old and we realized babies don’t come with an instruction manual. (Turns out neither do governments.)
2. Dad’s Fence Adventures:
After four days of trying to line up fencing jobs, Dad called Gord Oliver who was beyond kind and willing to employ Dad for as long as needed. I am beyond grateful I married a man whose skills go beyond the classroom. This strike may have knocked us down, but Dad landed us a lifeline.
3. My Job Hunt:
Meanwhile, I’m testing the waters myself: hospital, A&W, and (deep breath) McDonald’s. I have an interview there later today, but every time I talk about it with one of the kids, I burst into tears. Humbling doesn’t even begin to cover it. Still, I have a plan up my sleeve for a family trip, so I’m trying to keep our earning power afloat. Pray with me that this strike ends yesterday.
4. Hiking Misadventures:
On Thursday, Amanda Shaw and I decided to conquer Upper Rowe Lake to see the golden larches (a.k.a. tamarack, a.k.a. “nature’s fireworks”). The last half hour was pure snowpack/ice and pure terror. We slipped, slid, and basically turned into a two-person avalanche—but at least we laughed hysterically the whole way down.
5. Decking the Halls:
Friday, Amanda and I helped some elderly volunteers set up the town’s Christmas displays. Look for the Nativity scenes when the lights come on, November 21st—that’s our handiwork. Fingers crossed they don’t blow over in the first chinook.
6. Thanksgiving Bliss:
The best part of the week? Jessica and Abby came home. Thanksgiving became less about the turkey dinners and more about gratitude, which is exactly what we needed. Highlights included:
Late-night chats.
Dad bravely battling the flu, one gyoza at a time. ;)
A Thanksgiving-themed “Dirty Soda” station, here at home.
Freezer meals and breakfast burritos for the girls.
A feast fit for kings. (Nate lit the candles with our kitchen blowtorch)
A cutthroat Smash Bros battle where the loser had to dodge flying eggs, thrown by everyone else. Did I deserve to be the loser? No (Nate!)
A Waterton trip in the snow.
Dinner with the Hardy clan (all the cousins!).
Movies, laughter, and sweet time with the girls and Grayson.
So yes, it’s been a week of tears, prayers, hard knocks, and huge gratitude. Through it all, one truth has held steady: I absolutely love this family of mine.I am thankful for a God that put us together, for a plan that promises comfort and guidance, and for the assurance of heavenly watchful care. I pray that you all feel that in your lives. Dad and I pray for you daily!
Love,
Mom








No comments:
Post a Comment