Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Happy SNOW DAY!!!

...ok my TWO most favorite things ever are: 1) Fall, and 2)the first snow fall of the year! When my sister called this morning a little before 7:00 and told me to look out the window, for a breif moment I thought she was playing a joke. Sure enough though I opened the blinds to see the most beautiful snow blanketing our freshly mowed grass.
Even better- it is STILL SNOWING! Abby, who is usually my late sleeper, heard my excitement and climbed out of bed. We donned our hats and mitts and headed out to enjoy it before everyone else woke up. Trying to cram every great thing we love about the snow into our limited time was actually a lot of fun. Snowangels...then a snowman...then snow tracks around our entire property! I really enjoyed this moment with Abby this morning.


There is something about the first snowfall that makes me want to dig out the christmas boxes, turn on some "Christmas with the Mini Pops" (yeah I know but I love it!) and bake some cinnamon buns. Seeing as it is only mid-september I may just bake.


More exciting news to report: Abby is learning to write! She's been in pre-school for 3 officail days and although they don't teach these little four year olds to write, something about getting to go "to school" has abby ready for some learning. I decided to just go with it. I took her out and bought her a special pen and "homework book" because you know, at this age, homework is the BEST! On the way home Abby would ask me how to spell certain words. Words like Mom, Dad, Sam, Ava.... I would spell them out for her expecting to see some scribbles and make believe writing. By the time we got home and I looked in her book I was surprised to see the real words. She really wrote all those names. Mind you the letters look rough but they are correct none the less! Imagine that! Somewhere in that cute little head of hers were all those letters just waiting to get out. Even better she said, "and look mom I even spelled "TAD!" Sure enough there it was T-A-D. Now she keeps busy writing words and lining them all up along our sofa. My job is to come to her store and Buy a word from her. Clever:) I love seeing Abby enjoy letters, and she just beams every time she writes a real word. Something clicked for her this week. It was the most exciting thing ever! (almost exciting as the newly fallen snow:) Now I'm only wondering one thing...who is TAD?
(Incase you can't tell- this does say SAM)


I'm pretty much winning with Abby right now, and our fun time in the snow has solidified to her that I am infact the best mom ever! However, incase I get to optimistic, Jessica is a different story. For the past 10 days she has not been herself. My usually cheery, perfect smily girl has been grouchy, clingy and downright mean at times. "Somethings wrong." I'd often say to John, but I'd just chalk it up to teething. Unfortunately I think I've gotten a little bit too relaxed as more of my kids are born. I finally took her into the Dr, after a really bad night only to find out that though she is teething, she's also battling a "RED HOT EAR INFECTION!" Great. That only took ten days for me to get my act in gear. Yup when it comes to Jessica, I'm feeling more like the crapiest mom ever right now.



Sam is...a mystery to me. He's a very active little boy and continues to be the one that requires the most effort. Yet he can be the sweetest little man ever. He isn't always...but he CAN be. He can probably say about fifteen words, but he communicates best with his hands. Is this normal? Abby had such a huge vocabulary by this time. Anyone out there with advice on how to get a stubborn boy to talk...I'd love it!
That pretty much sums up the fun in our lives at this moment. Hope you are enjoying a beautiful snowy day where you are!

4 comments:

Dick Family said...

WOW - snow!!! We aren't getting snow up here...yet! The pictures are great! That's awesome about Abby - she's quite the smarty pants! My advice is to enjoy Sam at this stage soon he'll be saying "boy" things and you wish he wasn't talking anymore...Sometimes the things Jason says I REALLY wonder where it comes from...I'm blaming it on his Dad and his cousins...though I can't be sure where the source is always!

Tanis, said...

Good point. I am dreading all that "boy" stuff as you put it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post Tanis. I still can't believe you were up that early playing in the snow. How about teaching Abby how to spell... "Jewel". Jokes. She's a little braniac that one!

Laura Leavitt said...

wow........that is so much snow. I think the first snowfall is exciting. I have have to fight the urge to bring out the Christmas decrorations too.That is so awesome that Abby is learnign to write. Good for her. I don't know if it is because Dallin is a boy...but he is way more work then Chantel ever was. He is such a sweet boy..but into everything. YOur kids are so cute.