Monday, December 31, 2007

Nikki's New Year Challenge

I have spent the week contemplating a challenge that Nikki threw out to everybody. The thought of choosing a personal theme instead of a bunch of New Years resolutions seemed both refreshing and exciting. What would my focus be? What did I need to improve on more than anything else? What do I want out of life? What am I willing to give up in order to achieve it? What would I be required to do?

All of these questions ran through my mind as I thought of the WORD that would become a part of my life this year. Many words came to mind. Real... Improve... Chill. All things that I need to do (and be) a little bit better, yet none of those words carried enough excitement or motivation to really cause me to want to focus on it for twelve whole months.

So here it is Nikki, and anyone else who choses to do this. My word for 2008 is SAVOR. Synonyms of this word include: appreciate, delight in, experience, feel, gloat, know, like, luxuriate in, partake, relish, revel in, sample.

As soon as I thought of this word it seemed to speak volumes for how I want to be. I want to be happier, play with my kids more, laugh, relish life and all the good things about my life. I want to like myself a little more. I want to be grateful. I want to slow down, and at times even stop...breathe...relax. Worry a little (or a lot) less about what others think about me. I want to sample new things, make new friends and take time to enjoy. But not just enjoy, that didn't seem like enough. I want to savor it all. My faith, my marriage, my kids, every memory I have, I plan to appreciate it all this year. Revel in it...SAVOR!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh that's a great word...I might have to steal it since I have never heard of this before but I like it much more than resolutions! It's crunch time as the New Year is hours away but maybe I can find a word of my own!

Nikki said...

FAB word girl. Sounds like a year that will be lived to the fullest!