Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wells Fargo is a bank???

It is almost 7:00am in California. The kids are still snorin logs so I thought I'd steal a minute to journal our past two days. If I don't record it now, then I'll forget all those neat things about our trip that I'd wanted to remember. I know I will. I plan on doing a slideshow of photos when I get back... but I HAVE to record a few things now. Therefore, if you arn't really all that interested in our trip ...move on to other blogs, at least for the next few posts:)

We left Reno on Monday morning. Johns brother Aaron rented a 14 passenger van and so we were all able to travel together. Have you ever wondered how 7 kids (1-9 years of age), and 4 adults fair on a 9 hour trip? I wondered how that would go all last week. Much to my relief the drive was wonderful. I had lots of leg room (sorry to Gina, who did not), no one got sick, and everyone was happy. Sure the last hour got a little bit crazier. It seemed like the closer we got to Disneyland the more desperate we were to get out of the van!



I noticed a couple of things on the drive out here: 1) I had not really experienced scorching heat before. Not even in Reno. We made a pit stop in one town, and I almost didn't want to leave the van. I'd rather "hold it in" then melt my shoes off! 2) The vegetation was so interesting. Have you ever seen a Joshua Tree? Cool little things. And don't get me started on Palm Trees. I tell ya - if I had a dollar for every tree I've taken a picture of ... 3) Last interesting thing that I learned is that Wells Fargo is NOT a bookstore. Note to self: It is actually a BANK. All my life I've thought that Wells Fargo was a bookstore, which is why I was confused when Aaron stopped there one day to get money. Even worse is I remember awhile back giving a card to someone with some american money in it and instructions for them to go spend it at WELLS FARGO!!! Ahhh. I thought it was my sister in law Sarah, who I'd done that too, but it wasn't. Blast...for the life of me!

Well that was our Monday Trip! Tuesday was JAM PACKED! We are staying at the hotel Paradise Pier and it really is that. A fun place with a rooftop swimming pool, great rooms, ...I love it. I've noticed this trip how much John likes to fill up the ice bucket. It's one of the first things he does any time we arrive at a place. Just something interesting...the ice does come in handy!

Yesterday morning we got up early and left for our first day at Disneyland. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we hotel stayers get into the park an hour earlier then everyone else, so we wanted to capitalize on the shorter lines. I would not be able to sit and recap our entire day, but the rides where all so fun and the atmosphere is amazing! A few things though:

1) The Indiana Jones ride ROCKS!
2) In the afternoon, John and Aaron took the little kids back to the hotel to sleep. I enjoyed this time so much. I went with Kaden and Ethan on some of the bigger rides and it was insane. Despite the fact that they assured me none of the rides were scary there were moments when I was trying to catch my breath from the excitement of it. I enjoyed just playing with these two awesome boys for a couple of hours. Gina took Abby to the Princess end of the park, and I'm so grateful for Gina for being willing to spend that time with Abby. Abby saw several princesses tell their stories, she did crafts, she went to a princess parlor and got all dolled up and face painted and then was invited on stage by three Disney princesses. They had these little girls make a princess oath and then they were all introduced to the audience as official princesses. It was a big deal for Abby and as they were leaving she told Gina it was "the best day of her life!"
3) I didn't miss out on the princess stuff either though. I took Abby to the afternoons princess parade. I can not even begin to explain or describe Abby's excitement. Every time a princess came out she began dancing and shouting to them. As they walked by Abby and sometimes winked at her or gave her a high five...her little smile just got bigger and bigger. I found myself getting a little choked up at times ...just watching HER!!! It was that magical Disney moment that I think made this trip for her totally worth it!

4) The evening light show AND fireworks show was INCREDIBLE! There was something about remaining in the park at night, waiting together to watch the show. As we stood along the rivers edge, a live band floated past playing Jazz music. I danced with Sam, visited and just enjoyed the atmosphere. It was perfect. Gina had insisted that we get a chance to see this nightly ritual and I'm so glad I did. The funnest water/light/firework show EVER!


Well the kids are starting to wake up, and in one hour we need to leave and join several Disney characters for a "GOOFY" breakfast. Then it is off to California Adventure today.


Let the FUN begin!

4 comments:

Lorin said...

LUCKY!!!

It's fun just to read about your great adventure Tanis. The last time I was at Disneyland was about 13 years ago when the Indiana Jones ride was just opened or at least still quite new. It was my favorite as well. Looking forward to your slide show after you get back!
As for Wells Fargo, maybe you had them confused with Barnes & Noble?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm officially jeleous!!! And just so you know I will be stearing clear from your blog for a few days to calm down! jokes. But seriously. I can even imagine the thrill in Abby's face! Just so you know, I had to "catch my breath with excitement" while picking weeds today... so "boo-boo-na-na" as Brookie would say!

Tanis, said...

Lorin,

that explains it. Barnes & Noble! No wonder I felt so certain it was a good gift idea. Barnes and NOBLE!!! Thanks!

Crystal said...

Tan...So fun. I am loving hearing about all of your adventures but I can't wait for you guys to get home so I can hear it first hand from abby and sam. I am sure they will be buzzing from this trip for quite a while.