Thursday, July 10, 2008

A fun little dot on the map

So through the course of this trip we have driven through some interesting towns. We drove through one town that has officially and aptly dubbed itself the “armpit of America.” There was this other town that John referred to as “just another boil on the buttocks of the world.” You know the type. They're those sleep little towns where you might miss it if you happen to be blinking at the time you're driving through...

But today I saw a town that is seriously straight out of a movie. It’s an old fashioned all American, gun slingin, saloon kinda town. Virginia City is the name of it. Gina took us there because she thought I might get a kick out of it.


As soon as we rounded the corner and I saw the "city" (if that's what you want to call it) I laughed. This town consists of two streets. That’s it. You drive up one street, down the other and that’s it! Really though that isn’t it because in those two streets are crammed the neatest shops, with the most interesting people. At the back of one shop is an old fashioned bank vault and then beside it was an entrance to a real mine. They were giving tours and it was fun to go down into this dark damp tunnel and really see how a mine worked back then. The dead canary they had on display made me a bit nervous☺ We were stopped by people dressed up in western theme who referred to our kids as little buckaroos.

There were simulated gun fights, panning for gold, ice cream…and what would an old western town be without a good ol candy store. It was the kind of town that was chalk full of personality and entertainment that would take an entire day just to walk up and down all two streets. Mark Twain once lived in this town. In fact it was while living here that he actually took up his pen name of Mark Twain. Prior to that he went by ...oh I forget...Clements something...uh Mr. Clements I suppose. Is that right? ...Clements? Unfortunately the kids kept me from really delving it to some of the shops and museums but it was fun to get a little glimpse of the good ol west!

Thanks Gina

I had to post this picture of Abby with her cousins Ethan. They've gotten to be great little buds!

2 comments:

Laura Leavitt said...

Fun to hear how things are going. I am glad the kids are doing well. What a funny little "town." What a fun adventure you are having.

Jordan and Luci said...

Abby and Ethan are so cute. But you should be careful about what you call the armpit of America...we need to go to some parts of Oklahoma and then you might htink differently! Oh and welcome to heat!!! It's cold and rainy here.