Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My (Geeky) Soulmate

I never used to believe in soul mates.   Really, I didn't.    At least, I did not believe in the whole concept back when John and I first got married.   How we ended up together was, for the most part, simply a combination of me- being head over heals smitten with his dashing good looks; and him- not dumping me like a load of bricks the way the rest of those other guys had.    Really.   That was pretty much it.     It's funny how a bit of time can change your perspective though isn't it?
Well, last week we celebrated Nine years of marriage together.  That's right - Nine whole years!   Why that’s practically a decade!    And therefore, I suppose that practically makes me an expert on marriage right?   (hmmm...perhaps I will write a book one day)    Anyways,  to celebrate our big monumental 9 Years we had made reservations at a Restaurant out in Waterton, and to say that I was looking forward to this would be an understatement.     However, by the beginning of the week I began to get the feeling that pulling off this little date was going to be a bit of a battle.   (boy, when we decided to get married in between Christmas and New Years we sure weren't thinking about how difficult it would be to fit an anniversary into the mix)    And I was right.   After postponing the much anticipated event a few times, we finally set out one stormy evening for Waterton, only to have to turn back a half an hour later because the roads were far too icy.  Not willing to give up, we tried going to our favorite local restaurant, the Cobblestone, which was unfortunately closed for a staff party.  What!  On our anniversary?  How dare they!
Finally willing to accept defeat, we returned home where we enjoyed yummy leftover lasagna and thrown together Greek salad.   In the background we could hear the kids arguing over the Wii game they were playing, while little Nate played with both of our feet under the kitchen table.     John made efforts every once in awhile to assure me that we'd get out another night and celebrate then, but deep down we both knew that wasn't going to happen.   And for some reason- I was OK with it.   

That's right, I was perfectly content with our deflated little celebration and in a way it actually seemed perfectly appropriate.  You see, I was sitting across the table from my Soul mate, after all.  Because that is exactly what he has become to me.  The one who has come to know me better then anybody else on earth - yet loves me still.

And no fancy schmancy dinner in Waterton could have made that any better then it already is.    



*****************

I'm posting this commercial that John found online a few weeks back.   Even though he has already watched it about a GAZILLION times, he still laughs hysterically every. time. he. sees .it.   
I just think it's important that you understand what an adorable, (albeit slightly geeky) man I married, that's all.     

I love him.  I really Do!


                                 

4 comments:

shauna said...

Congratulations on 9 years, you two! Your celebrations sound lovely. I will always vividly remember your wedding day since it was my first outing after coming off of 5 weeks of bedrest. Good times! We are so glad to have you as friends...is that house next door still for sale?? :)

I can see why John laughs over that commercial...I was laughing pretty hard myself. I'll have to come and watch it a few more times to see if it gets old...

Jordan and Luci said...

That's funny...I can see why John laughs, which made me laugh even harder.

Congrats on 9 years! I will be patiently waiting for the marriage book to come.

Dick Family said...

Congrats on the 9 years, we're coming up here next month too!

chick pea said...

You always inspire me to want to be better Tanis! I love that you guys are still so romantic, and I did laugh at the video! but probably not as hard as John did!