Sunday, January 30, 2011

A post mostly about our incredibly independent (and advanced) Alligator Snapping Turtle!

I had a horrible realization today, after church.   I was expressing to John my excitement that Nate had only 6 weeks left until Nursery when he suddenly stopped me, and suggested I recount that-because he was sure it wasn't that soon.   Sure enough...I had completely skipped over one month (stupid April) and was a little to anxious. The truth is, we are still 3 months away from him moving up.  That means 3 more months of pacing the halls and trying desperately to keep Nate out of the other ward's sacrament meeting.  (which by the way we were unsuccessful at today)   It's pretty disheartening if you ask me- and now I'm mad at John for correcting me and bursting that bubble.  (he can be such a killjoy!)  

Suffice it to say that Nate has been a handful lately.   As the picture below might prove- he has figured out the art, ...and JOY of climbing!     I swear for the first couple of weeks my initial inclination when I'd find him up on the counter was to GET HIM DOWN of course.  (like any responsible parent would do;)   However, after repeating the same scenario over and over again and
putting up with the same tantrums as a result-I'm afraid I have resigned myself to the fact that this little
 boy can't be held back.    Instead of fighting it, I now find myself trying to justify reasons why it is Ok for me to actually let him play up on the counter.

For example:   You can't see it- but there are 4 bar stools that sit at the edge of this counter, all of which were over turned, in hopes to prevent him from climbing on them.  (see I do try)   It took just a matter of minutes for him to figure it all out and begin turning them right side up.   That tells me that he has got great problem solving skills.   And the very fact that he can safely maneuver those stools and even get on the counter is, in my opinion, proof of very advanced Gross Motor ability.

And I personally like to think that he is actually sorting all of those bowls and cups, and I find it very reassuring to know that he is already working on the basics of Math.     Heaven knows, I'm not raising a dummy!


It is at meal time in particular that we really get to see  just how independent this boy is.    He REFUSES to sit in his high chair, and seems to have a strong aversion to being strapped down at all.  (go figure;)   In fact- he'd rather not even SIT ;)       We've basically learned that he will eat what he wants to eat,  when he wants, and off of whichever plate he wants.

Sure, I admit it,   he is absolutely and unequivocally the boss around here.    I realize that a good parent would not put up with it-but honestly...this is not a kid who wants to be held down.    Besides, I studied Early Childhood before I married John, and I happen to know of a term that justifies my new parenting technique.     We like to take a very "CHILD DIRECTED" approach to parenting around here.  

That sounds so much better then admitting that I'm just lazy and that he is clearly our fourth child,  doesn't it?






Sam received a little wake up call this week as he was teasing his baby brother.   (Yes the same baby brother described above:)    It was kinda funny to see Sam's glee as he tormented Nate- turn to horror as Nate chomped his teeny tiny teeth down into Sam's finger and refused to let go.   Seriously, he was like an Alligator Snapping Turtle or something, and Sam has a hole in his finger now to prove it;)

Not only is Nate not going to let his momma tell him what to do- he also isn't going to put up with the antics of a pesky older brother!!!   
Hopefully that is the LAST of the biting!

Abby delighted us this week by reading an entire series of fairy themed paperback books- all in three days!   She refused to watch any movies with the kids, and insisted on keeping her nose in a book until she'd gotten through all 9 of them.    Clearly- it seems as though all of my children are advanced. 


We took a lovely drive out to Waterton this week, and I enjoyed having lunch with the kids at Vimy's.    Gosh, I could get used to afternoons like that.  (Heaven help John's wallet;)    It was so pretty out there though- I don't feel guilty at all!   It's just too bad John couldn't join us - but he was at work, or something silly like that.   (the killjoy!)


Here is a picture of one of the sunrises this past week.   I'm watching out my window every morning now.   Last year February had some of the most stunning sunrises ever!!!


Oh and Congratulations to my little sister Crystal and her family.   We are excited to meet your newest little boy!   

1 comment:

Jordan and Luci said...

I love that little Nate. It's a good thing Jax and Nate didn't go through that stage together while we lived there. Can you imagine? He's so stinking cute. Miss you guys.