Take for example ... Mealtime. AKA: DILEMMA #1:
There is a word in our house that John and I often use to describe certain events in a day. (Dinner time being one of them.) It is GONG SHOW! Every day I plan what to make for dinner. I prepare to make it. I slave away actually making it. I set the table. John calls everyone to the table. The kids wash their hands. And then. ... Well-it is pretty much all down hill from there. Well this week I was moved by true inspiration (or just plain madness) to let them all eat dinner downstairs WHILE enjoying our weekly family movie night. That's right - I let them actually eat dinner downstairs!!!! Pizza, white carpets and ALL!
(what's that? oh ...you think I deserve "the mother of the year award" for allowing it? Why thank you- I quite agree.)
Anyways- while enjoying this little adventure that the kids had never before experienced, I glanced around and noticed something that surprised me. More like...astonished me. ...(Exceedingly;)
The kids were actually eating! Sam was NOT grumbling about the "stupid meal" and and asking "why do I have to always make food he doesn't like?" Jess kept looking up at me and amid mouthfuls of food, telling me how much she "loved me." And Nate? Well little Nate sat at the "proverbial table" for longer then he has ever done before! It was heaven on earth I tell ya. Pure heaven.
In fact, if John ever decided to buy me TV trays for say ...my birthday or something- I don't think I'd knock it. No sir, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.
(Picture from the Ronald Reagan Library, Courtesy of the National Archives)
DILEMMA #2:
Recently our Stake leaders have strongly encouraged us as church members to be more cautious and careful in regards to how we treat our local church buildings. The council makes perfect sense really. However, the concept of us cleaning up after ourselves AND being careful of the messes we make in the first place, has completely thrown a wrench in the way I pack my baby bag each week. For real! I mean- it's bad enough that John already banned cheezies a long time ago, but now we don't take ANYthing that could remotely crumble or drip or fall apart. I was actually beginning to wonder if we should even pack snacks at all! And can you imagine going to church without ANY snacks for your kids? Is that even possible?
I was hugely relieved this past week, when I got another stroke of genius. A truly Eureka sort of moment:
That's right. Originally used to clean up lint and pet hair - Now a portable Pew Cleaner that easily fits into my baby bag. Just a few rolls over our bench (and let's face it the surrounding area) with this baby and it's like we'd never even been there! Brilliant!!!!
DILEMMA #3:
Enough said.
Once my favourite child- now a true handful. At barely 1year of age, he has already reached toddler like ability. I admit, I knew this stage would come, and yet I still was not at all ready for it. A couple of weeks ago, I took a brave chance and actually packed a bag of cheerios to keep Nate happy. Well, part way through Relief Society he grabbed hold of the bag and instinctively dumped the ENTIRE thing upside down. Crumbs everywhere-and literally a PLUME of little cheerio dust all over the carpet. (and that was before I had thought up my genius "Pew cleaner" idea) I spent the entire RS lesson with my head pointed to the floor while I furiously tried to pick up every crumb. (which truthfully, I ended up just spreading out so that it looked less obvious) Then. THEN as soon as the meeting had ended- NATE took off running. Right out the door and out of sight! Now sure, some might just tell me to keep better track of my kid-but it's honestly not my fault. He's faster then me! Suffice it to say, I did find Nate a short time later. He had run all the way into the chapel (during another wards meeting) and was headed up the stairs to the pulpit where some man was giving his talk! I had to walk from the back of the chapel to the front to retrieve him - and all while being stared at by an annoyed congregation and bishopric. oiy!
Technically, I haven't quite found an immediate solution to this "little but cute problem" - but I take great comfort in knowing that help is on the way. Although not nearly soon enough!
Perhaps you noticed our little countdown at the top?



6 comments:
Haha -- you're probably going to laugh, but when you said 'countdown', I thought you were adding a sibling for Nate! Haha -- Nursery is a MUCH easier solution!! :o) Oh, and I LOVE your portable pew cleaner -- genius!
Ah, good old TV trays, I'm pretty sure there was more total happiness in the world when they were first invented and popular during the fifties and sixties. Coincidence? Maybe...
haha! Great post! I needed a good laugh and you never disappoint Tanis!
I have a few comments, because I have too ;) I agree about meal time! REally! Sometimes I wonder WHY...WHY?! our church is SOOO set on "meal time"? haha
I must admit you could be the MOST BRILLIANT woman alive...who'd a thunk that the link roller would solve all problems in the pews??? WOW! We've been banned of all things snack by Daniel, because of the mess...this could help make the come back...thank you ;)
Tan, you seriously make me laugh. Pizza and a movie...it could have just been the pizza. Maybe the true test would be another type of food...not to burst your bubble! :)
Awesome post Tan! If John doesn't get you TV trays....then I WILL!!! I can't believe Nate is almost old enough for Nursery!
Tanis that is a great idea! To bad it would be a faux-pas to sell lint brushes at church, serious... you could make some $$$.
Post a Comment