Last weekend some neighbors of ours went down to Kalispell for a couple of days and asked Jessica to take care of walking their little dog Monty. Jessica loves that dog and pretty much wanders over to their house to see if "Monty can play," on a daily basis. I suspect our neighbor gave Jessica this task more for Jessica's sake then Monty's.
I'm pretty sure that dog got walked more in those two days then he usually does in a Week! John and I could tell that the poor little thing was getting tired-but our girls were having too much fun. So walk him they did. Again. And again. And again.
To thank Jessica- they brought home this adorable bunny bike helmet for her. Isn't it awesome?
I get a kick out of watching her play outside now. She usually mistakes Abby's coat for hers (which is extra long), and wears bright pink gumboots. As if that wasn't cute enough, seeing her ride around with this helmet added to the ensemble just makes my heart so happy.
******
Sometimes after dinner, Abby and I take advantage of the slightly warmer evenings we've been having to go for a walk. It gives Abby the one on one time she loves so much, and it gives me an excuse to skip out on the after dinner clean up. (funny thing is though-the dishes and mess always seem to be waiting for me when I get back. huh.)
Anyways-we've found a fun spot that we often like walking to not very far from our house. It's basically nothing more then a large empty field that over looks the outskirts of town. There is one particular tree there that is probably dead, but is the perfect size for Abby to easily climb into. She has dubbed this our "Secret Tree," and the rule is that everything spoken at this tree must be honest and most importantly kept between us. As in her and I only.
(I'm hoping that I'll still be able to drag her to this tree with me when she gets older. Say...16(ish)
Anyways, last night as Abby sat in the secret tree she divulged to me who she has a crush on. I wasn't shocked, but I pretended to be because that's the reaction she wanted from me. It provided me with a great opportunity however, to explain to her that boys actually have cooties and that cooties don't go away until you get married. Therefore (ergo) it is pointless to really have a crush on any boy right now. To which she agreed. ...I think.Just as we were about to leave Abby paused and asked me to tell her something secret now. Not just any secret though. She had one particular one in mind. To quote her she said, "Mom. I just really need to know. Honestly. What is the truth? Is the Easter Bunny real or is it just you and Dad?"
Seriously? What am I supposed to say to that? The truth? And if she questioned the Easter Bunny then what next. Leprachans? SANTA? Was I really supposed to be the one who ended all of that childhood magic? And where the heck was John? There was no way I was going down alone!
So....I lied.
Standing right there under our "Secret Tree", I looked her straight in the eyes and I told her that
"her Dad was definitely not the Easter bunny."
(and really, in my defense he isn't. I am the one who gets all the gifts and treats for the kids. John's just the one who merely works to pay for it all;) By the look on Abby's face I could tell that she was not totally convinced so I proceded to tell her some make believe story about the time that I actually saw the Easter Bunny with my own eyes!
That convinced her nicely.
Though I must admit, it is nagging on my conscience a little, and I'm beginning to think that her little heart already knows the truth - she's just waiting for me to say it.
We'll likely be making a little trip back to the Secret Tree.
....but I'll wait 'till next week;)
HAVE A GREAT EASTER WEEKEND!!!!
4 comments:
Oh dear...I love the Secret Tree idea. I love Abby's question. It was probably a test to see if you believed in the Secret Tree magic.
I remember my mom answered my question about the Easter Bunny when I was about Abby's age and that year I got to help put stuff out for the other kids. It made it special for me still and I had a fun little secret to keep. I don't think I ever asked about Santa though...because I saw him. TWICE...once flying over the moon over our house and once peeking in our living room window! No need to question that one...seeing is believing!
We loved visiting with you guys today! Hope you got home safely and on time!
Tanis, Mike and I read your post and we both had to smile, he said, "I hope Abby doesn't read her blog!" haha! :)
Ha. Good point Cindy! Luckily, she doesn't read our blog...yet;) However, I do turn this blog into books which serves as our family journal of sorts. Perhaps I'd better break the news to the kids before I put make our next book;)
It is the hardest thing to have to break the news to your kids. We just told Ella about Santa before Christmas and she was so upset to find out the truth, even though she said she was the only one in her class that still believed. She figured out the rest, which I thought was kind of smart on her part and helped me because I didn't want to have to be even more mean!
- H
Post a Comment