Sunday, June 26, 2011

Last day of school and other crazy things...


Abigail was so excited for her last day of school!    In fact she came up that morning wearing this wig and a pair of yellow gloves.    Why???     Well, because it's the last day of school!    What better reason to dress up than that?

She begged me to let her actually wear this to school, to which I flat out said NO.    It was the last day of school- NOT Halloween, for goodness sake.    

However, at the end of the day as I was cleaning out Abby's backpack for good, I found the gloves and wig stashed at the bottom underneath her books.

She wouldn't have snuck this "get up" into her bag and dressed up at school would she?     (I think I know the answer to that)  

Sigh.    I suppose I should at least be glad it was a wig and gloves, rather then a tube of lipstick and a miniskirt.    It could be worse right?


Our family was asked if we'd be willing to distribute brochures (for the local community theatre) around the neighborhood.    We always like doing this as it gives the kids an activity for a few days and they earn some movie passes in the process.     I don't know why Sam and Jess insisted on wearing GOGGLES while they worked, but seeing as their sister wears wigs and gloves on the last day of school, I probably should just chalk it up to some genetic predisposition they all share.  It's beginning to feel as though the older the kids get, the crazier they seem!  Or is it just me? 


 Jessica and Sam finished soccer this weekend with a tournament on Saturday morning.   It was fun to watch them play on the new soccer field in town, even if it was a little windy.     I've not watched them play this year as often as I should have as John was usually the one to take them each week.   Jessica was timid, yet happily obedient.    Sam?   Well, at some point this year Sam turned into a soccer maniac!    I wouldn't go so far as to call him a "ball hog" or anything like that.   (but that's only because I'm his mother.)      It made me proud to watch him score several goals, and I could tell that Sam was proud as well as he ran down the field with his arms high above his head cheering for himself the whole way.  I wasn't however so proud when I watched him shove his own teammates in an effort to steal the ball from them!     
                                             I don't know, perhaps the whole concept of "teamwork" is too advanced for his age?     
Or maybe his parents have just never taught him how to share;)





Sam redeemed himself later in the day though when we went for an evening walk out at St. Mary's.   Without any prompting from us,  he took it upon himself to pick up ALL the garbage that he saw.    He kept asking questions like, "What will happen to the earth if everybody litters?"   and "What if nobody cared about the world anymore?"    I thought it was cute that he felt inclined to clean up someone else's mess as nothing annoys me more then a litter bug!   It's nice to see that Sam has a kind soul underneath that tough ball stealing exterior of his.      

We had a great time out at the Dam and saw lots of cool things.     We found a foxes den and watched two very shy kit foxes for a bit, then an osprey flew over us with a huge fish clasped in it's talons, and John fished while half a dozen pelicans circled the sky above him.    The kids and I accidentally crashed a party of sorts as we (without knowing it) joined a gathering of tough looking outdoorsmen who were attending the annual Walleye Trail Convention.    

Never a dull moment at St. Mary's, that's for sure!


John has just two days of school left before he is done for the summer, and he's already begun the first of many fences that he is building this month.     Between his fencing jobs and Helaman's Encampment, we are anticipating a lot of days and evenings without Dad around.   I'm seriously questioning whether or not I'll be able to stay sane through it all.    One can only be surrounded by craziness for so long before succumbing to it right?     Wish me luck!


Happy Sunday!!!

3 comments:

Lorin said...

Einstein? Doc Brown? No, I've got it, Abby is professor Julius Sumner Miller right?

Tanis, said...

Lorin, I had to google who professor Julius Sumner Miller was only to recognize him from you tube videos John has often watched. Perhaps Abby is a budding physics expert in the making. John would be so proud:)

Jordan and Luci said...

Tan it's fun to hear what your kids have been up to. I love them. I would have loved to watch them play soccer, especially Sam. So funny. Also I can't believe how big and different Nate looks since we saw him last! Why, why, why? Anyways, miss you guys!