Saturday, January 7, 2012

Illuminate: Recap of 2011

Last January I set a goal for 2011 to "ILLUMINATE".    Here is the story behind that word, and the reasons why I chose it as my focus this past year.     I remember last year at this time, feeling a deep need to draw out the positive and good things about my life and bring them to light.   This blog has helped me this year as I've tried to journal many of the experiences in the past twelve months that were definitely worth highlighting.    Just a recap of some of my favorite things about 2012:

1.  Freeze out Lake, Montana

In March we met up with John's sister Sarah in Choteau Montana for what I will likely always remember as the Best Weekend EVER!!!   After hearing Sarah describe the bird migration that occurs every year at Freezeout Lake- we knew this was something we wanted to see for ourselves.    To say it was amazing would be an understatement.  Inspiring, breathtaking, ...and transcendent almost comes close to describing it. To see all those thousands of snow geese and trumpeter swans take off, land and fly together was something that I will never forget.    Click Here to see the video footage!


2.  Kid's crafts/experiments to the Max!
I caught my kids (a couple of times this year)  embracing their creativity with crazy little antics like this!
I had lot of opportunities to practice my underdeveloped skills of "letting it go" and just "going with the flow."    To my credit though, I think I calmly sat back and watched more then I ever interfered, and I hope their little brains have learned a bit through all their mess making this year;)
(Coincidentally, this also happens to be the year we disconnected our cable television;)

3.  A visit to Aunt Crystals!
Towards the end of August, we left the kids at my sister Crystal's house for a week while I had my surgery.   A whole week!   It was the first time we'd ever had to leave our kids before, and I'm sure Crystal was more tired out then she has ever let on, but it was such a treat for my kids, not to mention a huge blessing to me.    Even now, months later the kids will occasionally break out in a song they learned from her, or ask me to make Crystal's home made pizza pops.    I am convinced that their is no place more magical for a kid then Aunt Crystals charming little farm house!


4.  I Learned how to Preserve!!
This was a busy summer and fall as we had lots of yummy goodness to preserve.    In the summer, I made my first batches of Rhubarb, Raspberry, and Strawberry freezer jam.    I must have enjoyed that well enough because by the time September rolled around I felt ambitious enough to do peaches, pears and beets!!   Best of all though, was that Jewel and Betsy joined in the craziness.   Now when I look at the bottles lining my storage room I always feel a sense of fulfillment form learning something new.    More importantly though, I am reminded of that fun couple of days with the two of them, when work didn't really feel like work at all!  

 5. A summer full of Fishing (minus the fish;)
 John was determined that this past summer we do all of our fishing outside of the national parks.   That meant that every one of our Family fishing trips happened at a nearby lake.   Romeril,  Payne lake, as well as various points along St.Mary's all proved to be difficult locations for us.   Somehow, we managed to make it through the summer without catching a single fish!!   We did however, have some great picnics, find some favorite family spots and make great memories in the process.
    Fish Schmish - that's what I say!

There it is.  A few of the highlights, for me, of this past year.    It was a year of change, some minor challenges, and lots of growth!   Over all,  it was a beautiful 12 months in which I fell in love with John and this little life that we have together- over and over again!

I'm not entirely sure I deserve to be this blessed-but I'll take it!

No comments: