Saturday, January 14, 2012

One week in and I need a holiday!

Wow!   This has been a lo-o-o-ong week!   There is something about enjoying a long Christmas break that makes returning to routine so painfully difficult.   John was back at work bright and early Monday morning and I was left on my own to fend for myself and ...make bag lunches and stuff;(    
(I know, I know.   I whine.    As the wife of a school teacher - I guess this is just my cross to bear;)

Some good things came out of this week though, the first being that we started our family chore program.    Can you believe it?  My kids and CHORES!   I never though I'd see the day;)   
It's actually going quite well, and I'm starting to feel optimistic that they might end up being well adjusted kids after all.    Every day they are expected to make their beds and help with dinner in some way.   (ie: menu plan and cook, clear table and dishes, or set table.)  Saturdays they all have extra chores to do.    It's been absolutely dreamy, and I've been asking myself all week why exactly it took us 8 years to teach this concept to our kids?   

Here's a picture of Sam slaving away on the dishes.   
(I love the way he makes everything fun. )  He's a comedian this one!

*********


The kids got some funky curly straws for Christmas from their Aunt Luci, and it didn't take long for them to teach Nate how to "blow bubbles" in his milk.    Now every day Nate insists on milk with a straw so that he can do this:

Problem is though, that he has no understanding of when to STOP blowing bubbles and he's perfectly happy to make bubbles until the milk runs out.   
It's a mess for sure, and I'm not entirely sure why I put up with it.   I must be awesome or something;)

(Not awesome.   Just lazy;)

********

Abby has seemed a little too teenager(ish) for my liking this week.    One night I was trying to get the kids to bed at a decent hour   (Oh, hello school routine - We hate you!)  and I told Abby to go brush her teeth.   When she asked why she had to go to bed, I replied with my favorite response:   
"Because I'm your MOM and I said so."   (It works every time;)
Well,  Abby thought that over  for a second and then said:
"Um... mom?...If Heavenly Father is ALL of ours Father...then really, that means that well... technically...you are actually... just my sister."

 Believe me, I sent her to her room tout suite!
This is the same girl that came home from school Thursday afternoon with a nice little boy from her class, wondering if he could play at our house for a bit.   They had decided to be partners in the science fair and they "really needed to begin working on their project."    The only thing is that they are in grade 3,  and science fair entries are only open to the grade 4-6 students.   When I pointed this out to Abby she looked at me like I was from another planet or something and said (with a whole lot of attitude,) 
 "Yeah i KNO-OW.   But we have to get started on it now, if we want it to be good for next year!"  

Oh, of course.  Silly me.  
What do I know though?   I'm just the dumb ol'  mom  "sister.";)

******

Luckily, my other daughter is still sweet as honey.    Earlier this afternoon after her Saturday bath, she told me that she was going to go lay out her clothes for church the next day.  (Let me just point out that she is the only child we have that willingly prepares for church)   Anyways, just before dinner we noticed her Sunday dress laying on her floor,  and John and I both got a kick out of what she'd done:
I love the way she arranged her shirt sleeves so that they are holding her scriptures AND her quiet book. And the bracelet around her sleeve?  
Nice touch. 

I'm pretty sure this girl will be the first one ready for church in the morning;)
Bless her heart!

No comments: