Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

What a Fabulous start to the New Year!  
For starters, we had a smashing party with some of John's siblings, and I even managed to stay up to ring in 2012.   THEN we woke up Sunday morning to learn that (due to a water main break) Church was cancelled.    So, after a relaxing afternoon of reading and watching church movies with the kids- we had Jewel and her family over for dinner.    Perfect way to spend New Years Day if you ask me.

Today we woke early and got right to work.    Our house is in serious need of a deep clean    It's time to clean up the Christmas clutter, set lofty goals, and start fresh.

I'd heard that burning a branch of your Christmas tree will bring you good luck in the New Year, so that is exactly what we did.     I'm thinking John wanted a little extra luck- because he decided to burn the whole darn thing!    Don't freak out - it was a controlled burn.   (Notice the hose in hand.  Plus, today happened to be surprisingly un windy;)

I'm excited for this next week before school resumes.  John and I have lots of plans.   Our week long "Lord of the Rings marathon" begins TONIGHT.   We're introducing our 'until now spoiled children' to the concept of chores this week, which should be fun.   And if that wasn't exciting enough,  we're going to clean out the van tomorrow and buy it a new battery.    

After that....
well?   I suppose we'll see what happens after that!

I've been thinking hard about what it is I specifically want to focus on this year as a goal.  
So so many words keep coming to my mind, and I'm realizing how very difficult it will be to condense all that I want to be and do this year into just. one. word.    

Luckily, I've still got time to set my resolutions, because we are still totally on holidays around here;)    I've got another week to narrow it down!!

Happy New Year!!!
Happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.
~ Edgar Guest

1 comment:

Dick Family said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like a wonderful way to ring in the new year, pj's and all ;)