Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day makes me laugh

John and the kids made me breakfast in bed.   It made me laugh.   
Abby kept coming into my room to ask how to make the home made syrup.   I'd tell her the appropriate ingredient to add, and then she'd say, "Got it.   Go back to bed."   
Then she'd be back again for the next set of directions;)  

At one point I heard a giant crash, and could tell by John's frustrated remark that that smoothie had been  spilled ALL over the kitchen counter and floor.    (But not before they'd managed to poor and deliver a cup of that deliciousness to me;)    
It made me laugh.

Then, the kids all filed into my room with plates of their own, loaded with french toast and home made hash browns and a glass full of smoothie (second batch;).    They each grabbed a corner of my bed and ate there, while we talked, trying not to be too messy.   (Needless to say, we definitely had to change the sheets after that.   There is a reason why eating in bed is not recommended;)   
Still, it made me laugh.


But, the funniest part of the whole day was when the kids presented me with their Mother's Day cards.     Each one seemed to be so fitting and descriptive of each of my kid's personalities.   

For starters -Jessica's:
The fact that she believes I'm eight years old explains exactly why she thinks I always want to play barbies with her so much.   What else would an eight year old want to do?   haha.
It was a sweet card, with kind and thoughtful answers.  (and she's right- her Dad does make me happy;)



Then, there was Sam's:

Sam was admittedly slightly off on his guess of my age, but that's alright, I wish I was 40;)
From that point on though all of these answers are a refection of his favorite things, not mine.  As he sat beside me and looked over this list he said, "Oh and mom, I didn't really know what your favorite food was, but KFC is just so AWESOME that I just decided to put that!"    (Oh and PS to our family in Okotoks.   Looks like we need to schedule a visit sometime.  haha)




Abby's Mother's Day card was really something:   
Remember that post a few weeks ago when I'd mentioned the time I had to confess to Abby that Santa wasn't real?   I'm pretty sure that conversation was the inspiration behind the poem she'd written on the back of the envelope.   Perhaps she has some unresolved feelings about that whole experience?

It reads:
Roses are red and so were my eyes
when you told me the truth, 
which was a surprise.
But the past is the past
so here is your gift,
And don't worry- 
it's not the last.


After reading the outside of the card, I was admittedly a bit nervous to actually open it up, for fear there may have been something more guilt inducing inside;)   However, it was the most darling flower she'd made consisting of various petal coupons to be used at my leisure.  (which I plan to;)


After I finished reading each petal, you know getting a feel for what I'd be able to require of her down the road, she looked at me slyly and said, "Hey mom.   Notice that I didn't write anything about "practicing my piano without arguing?"   
She's a smart one, that girl.

And it made me laugh!!

1 comment:

Jordan and Luci said...

I love Abby! And you make me laugh. Our kids are counting down the days (already) until they can go to Sam's.