Back before Easter, the kids had collected an egg from the fridge and were determined to incubate it in hopes of it hatching - preferably on Easter Morning. No wouldn't that have been awesome;) John didn't find it so amusing. In fact, that little event was a tipping point for John, and he shortly thereafter reached the proverbial last straw when it came to all things "Easter Bunny." Apparently he had a problem with the way I was letting our 9 year old believe things that weren't true, and more specifically with the way I often go over board to convince her that these things were true.
Sure, ok, when you put it like that - it sounds kinda bad now doesn't it?
But I hardly think teaching them about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny falls into the category of "lying." Besides, I'm convinced that there are certain lies a mother is eternally exempt from and unaccountable for, no? Yeah...John doesn't think so either, and on this particular day, he was ready for me to come clean with Abby and tell her the truth. The whole truth! He kindly assured me over and OVER again that Abby already KNEW the truth and that she was just pretending to believe for our sakes, but that it was time.
So, taking confidence in that assurance, I kissed "Mr. No-heart" good bye, loaded Abby up into the van and the two of us went for a drive. I wasn't quite sure how I was even going to bring this little conversation up, but finally after about 45 minutes I stopped the van, turned to her and confessed it all:
There was no such thing as the Easter Bunny. Dad and I buy all the chocolate.
All those presents under the tree at Christmas? Dad and I.
That tricky leprechaun that destroys their traps every St. Patricks day? Totally me.
That tooth fairy (named topanga) who leaves behind a trail of glitter and purple colored water?
...um...that would be me.
Well, after purging myself of all those lies (cough cough eye roll JOHN;) I turned to look at her to see her bottom lip absolutely quivering and her eyes brimming with tears. She looked at me sadly and said, "Mom, why are you telling this to me?"
My heart broke!
I wanted to turn back time just 30 minutes and take her home and go try to hatch a hard boiled Easter Egg or something.
Well, needless to say it took a multitude of apologies, but I finally got a smile out of her when I promised that it is much more fun to be on the "knowing side of things." Actually, I think what really made the difference is that I bribed her with a large Reese Blizzard from Dairy Queen.
And POOF! Just like that, she was a happy girl again.
I'm thinking that I maybe should have started with the Blizzard?
At any rate, our little non believer is fine with it now, and actually looking forward to getting to help John and I as we continue to "lie" to the younger kids;) Later that evening as I was asking Abby to practice her piano she came to me and quietly said, "Mom, do you think that maybe I should just have a day off of practicing, you know, because of all I've been through today?"
Then at bedtime I asked her if she'd said her prayers to which she replied,
"Yup. I prayed that I'd have the strength to endure what you told me!"
See? She's not going to make me feel guilty for this at all!
I have a feeling I'll be buying a lot of DQ Blizzards before before this kid is grown;)
2 comments:
AHH! That breaks MY heart too. Holy! Thank goodness for ice cream to smooth things over. I loved the van story to by the way. I told Jax about it and we both had a good laugh. That was seriously hilarious! Who's van was it?
Lucky for me I think Terry is more into keeping the kids believers than I am! Good thing you have a DQ in town. I don't know what we will do when our time comes...
Post a Comment