Sunday, June 17, 2012

A day on my own....

Thanks to a couple of previously scheduled specialist appointments, I found myself making the drive from here to Calgary this past week at 5:30 in the blessed am.    I used to be a morning person, but I must be getting old- because truly getting up that early was a big deal.   John (the eternal optimist) tried to reassure me by telling me that everything is always so peaceful at that time of day.

He's right by the way;)    


It was a quick trip, as I had to get back home by late afternoon to accommodate the kids sporting events etc, but I had an hour and a half in between my appointments to burn, and I was determined to stay away from all shopping malls.  (dang me and my recent determination to embrace frugality!:)

I found the most charming greenhouse just a bit off of 16th Ave, and spent much too much time inhaling the scents and loving the colors around me.     There was a particular garden bench for sale that I was really tempted to sprawl out on and read the book I'd brought along in my purse.  
 But I didn't.  (I didn't want to look homeless;)



Seeing as I was already on 16th Ave,  I knew I was only a few minutes away from the graveyard where my Mom and Dad are.    Well, technically, I know they really AREN'T there, but on this particular day- I really enjoyed my time connecting with them just the same.    John has said many times that a graveyard is not where he would go to feel close to loved ones, but it was nice to be alone, and recall the memories that I have.

I was sad that the gravestone had been so neglected, and the grass around it was completely unkempt. (I spent a good 20 minutes ripping up grass and cleaning it up, and I ended up having muddy knees and finger nails for my second appointment;)   However, I could tell that one of my siblings had also been here within the past couple of months because our parents grave was at least less grown over then others.     



After that I still had a few minutes left before I had to make my way to the south side of Calgary, so I decided to drive up to the new Temple to see how it looks.   Unfortunately Stony Plain Rd was NOT the road I should have taken, and I ended up being whisked past it without ever getting the chance to get to close.    Next time I'll know what road to take;)   But, if you squint really hard- you can see it!

So thankful to John and my sister JEWEL who juggled watching the kids amidst their own hectic schedules.    Who knew a trip to the doctor could be so enjoyable;)?  


No comments: