My Dad always had the BEST advice to give! Like, for real. He always had some little nugget of wisdom to throw at us at any given moment. For example:
When I told him about a kid who was teasing me at school, he told me to go back to that kid, look him straight in the eye and say, "Oh yeah...well ....your Mother wears Army Boots!" (I can't remember, but I think it worked like a charm;)
When I was a 11, he decided to grow his grey hair out and wear it in a ponytail like a biker, and my sisters and I were mortified! I asked him why he wanted to embarrass us so much, and his response was that - "You can't always worry about what other people think about you." (That's proven to be one of the bigger lessons that I'm still trying to learn.)
Suffice it to say, my Dad was a real Character. And I miss him very much.
Father's Day always gives me the chance to reflect on the awesome Dad that he was. Although his methods were at times a little bit ...um ...unorthodox(?), he managed to instill deep within me an appreciation for the important things in life.
Every Father's Day I feel such gratitude for the high standards my Dad required me to have when choosing a husband. I couldn't ask for a better man to raise this gaggle of kids with then this guy right here;)
This morning we tried to make John his favorite breakfast and shower him with all sorts of gifts and crafts, in an effort to show him how much we love him. Some how though, all of that seems miserably superficial and shallow when compared to all that he gives us!
"Steady John" - That's what I like to call him! He's not easily swayed, fears little, has a steel trap mind full of wise things, and speaks the truth. He Always speaks the truth! He lives what he believes and doesn't worry about what others think of him.
I suppose in that way- him and my Dad are actually a lot alike.
Of course I am thankful for my father in law too, who (like my own Dad did) has taught me many important lessons. Thanks to Max, I now know where to plant my squash each year and how to hill my potatoes! He's shown me that sometimes speaking quietly can be more effective then always fighting to be heard. And he is constantly demonstrating to me that serving those around you is never too much to ask.
I'm so thankful to have so many wonderful examples in my life.
Happy Father's Day to you each and every one!
No comments:
Post a Comment