So yesterday after church, I asked one of Nate's primary teachers (who is awesome by the way!) how Nate was doing with the other kids in his class. The response:
"He's selfish. Belligerent. Completely uncooperative, and he seems to enjoy disobeying."
Hmmm. I hadn't really expected that (though I can't entirely disagree with it;)
However, that synopsis has caused me to spend at least 15 minutes deep in pensive self reflection, as I've wondered just where exactly I've gone wrong with this boy. It's not like I'm delusional or anything - I know my kids aren't perfect, ...but "Belligerent?" I mean, I don't even know what that means!!!
Needless to say- Nate may not be in my good books right now, but let me pause to reflect on the successes and accomplishments of my older kids. (You know the ones that aren't bordering complete delinquency:)
Take Abby for example. Imagine our surprise last Monday when she wanted to share a talent at Family Home Evening. What was her talent you ask? Well she successfully put an unconscious (somewhat over dramatic) patient into "recovery position!" Apparently she'd learned this technique from a comic book - so I think she gets extra props for teaching herSELF!
* She's Ambitious, Self-Motivated, AND she'll probably end up saving someones life one day, no?
******
Jessica has spent the week doing dishes after every dinner time meal, all on her own! She's not being punished or anything-she just does it to suck up. It's AWESOME! (Well, ... if you can look past the puddle of water that pools on the floor beneath her, that is)
* See? Service oriented AND and a certifiable brown noser. She'll go far with those qualities;)
******
Sam participated in the grade 1 track and field event at school last week. He was proud as punch when he won first place in the 50 meter dash, and so was I. I mean sure- he only ran against two other kids, but that didn't really seem to dampen his spirits. As far as he knows- he's the reining champ of the whole day!
* He may not be the most humble kid around but he ...um ... runs really fast?
And that's something to be proud of right?
******
Then there is Nate. I snapped this photo of him the other day after he'd taken his diaper off for the 37th time! I initially thought he was ready to potty train- but he still flat out REFUSES to sit on the potty and even try. Instead, he would much rather take off his diaper secretly as soon as it's dirty, leave it in some unknown place for me to find later, then pull up his pants and keep playing. It's a recipe for disaster really, and I find that it is a full time job for Abby and I just making sure he has a diaper on! Still though- there's gotta be something good I can say about this boy right?
...Nope. I've got nothing. Unless "Belligerence" can be considered a virtue - I've got nothing.
Thankfully though, Nate's nursery leader (who's judgement I really do trust) did assure me that this is just a phase. He'll surely get through it. And in the mean time, at least I've got the three other kids to be proud of right?
See? There's a silver lining in everything!

No comments:
Post a Comment