Wow this past week was busy!
I think it is fair to say that this week, this one week in December, is without fail- the busiest of the year! Most nights this week were spent rushing from one Christmas event to the next, sometimes juggling two or even THREE things in one night! In the past 6 days we attended the temple, two ward parties, and three choir concerts! I hired a sitter three times, did my visiting teaching (thank you very much:), made John go to his staff Christmas party alone and I managed to forget to pick Abby up from her piano lessons on one cold snowy morning. (She showed up at our door, late for school, sobbing big fat alligator tears:(
Clearly, my energy levels and performance seemed to peeter out by weeks end, and although I LOVE all the Christmas fun that comes with this week, I had let all the things I needed to do distract me from the true joy of this season.
(Abby and Mya after singing at one of their Christmas concerts)
A couple of things this week though helped remind me of what matters most.
For starters, I had a conversation with a friend several nights back, in which she mentioned how important it has become for her to be entirely "PRESENT" in each moment for those she loves. She spoke of how she wanted her family and loved ones to know and feel that they had her complete attention. As soon as she said this, I knew it was just what I needed to hear.
But Still. My week was SO BUSY!!!!!
And I continued to rush about ever so aimlessly.
Then Friday hit.
Out of Friday, came one of the saddest stories that I have heard of in a long time, and it left me wanting to never let my kids out of my sight again. I realized then that the time to be "present" in my children's life is NOW!
So, in the past few days, I've tried harder to do just that.
In trying, I've been reminded that being present in each given moment, is really more of a present for me then it is for them.
For example, Friday afternoon, after Nate and I finished visiting teaching - I rushed us home, ready to begin the long list of things I thought I needed to do. Nate had found an unopened box of Chocolates and was insisting on eating them right then, at that very moment. For a second, I was a bit frustrated with both his timing and his determination. Then I gave up. I sat down beside him on the stair he was on and ate some chocolate too;) We pretty much ate an entire box of Toffifee, and I'll admit I don't really take the time to "talk" to my three year old as often as I should, but I really enjoyed the conversation that day.
When the kids got home from school, Abby immediately retired to her room to read. I decided to seize the moment alone with her, and laid down in her bed beside her. I was surprised at how quickly she set the book down, and snuggled deep into my arms, obviously needing a little mommy time. We talked about her day, and about "that time this week when I'd forgotten to pick her up after piano lessons." Giving her just a small amount of my time seemed to do wonders in restoring her hopes in me, and I think she's forgiven me. I pretty much went from zero to hero in her eyes in 5 minutes flat!
Later that night, after dinner, we loaded everyone up to go look at Christmas lights. We made sure to bring Grandpa Max along, and even stopped at Dairy Queen so that we all had a frozen treat to eat while we drove around. I love it when Grandpa comes with us, as it gives me a reason to sit in the back with the kids. No computers, no chores, no phone....nothing to do but enjoy the moment with those I love most.
Luckily, there were lots of spectacular Christmasy lights to enjoy too!!
(This continues to be a favorite house of ours to visit:)
Nate just eating his ice cream cone...with a spoon:)
We got a kick out of this house. I was torn between whether I should take a picture, or go rescue the guy! hahaha.
No comments:
Post a Comment