Thursday, March 7, 2013

Winter in Waterton

It's march now!   
That means that it's time to start going for little drives outside of town in search of eagles. 

Sometimes Jessica comes with me, other times though - I sneak out of the house before anyone even notices I'm leaving and tries to stop me!  haha

These drives almost always take me out past Beazer, and then instinctively towards Waterton.   I don't know why I have to end up there, perhaps I'm just afraid of missing out on a beautiful Waterton morning.    

And this past Saturday was just such a morning!
The mountains were so crisp looking with freshly fallen snow.    


Waterton (though crisp and pretty) was also very windy!
I stopped for awhile below the prince of whales hotel and rolled my window all the way down and just listened to the waves as they rolled in.   
Watching these waves reminded me of our awesome visit to Newport Beach in 2008.  It was our first, and so far, only experience at the ocean and it was breathtaking.   Listening to these waves lap against the shore, I could almost close my eyes and pretend I was back there on that sandy California beach.   (Well, until I started to feel the numbing effects of frost bite sink in;)


Brrrr!!!!!!    As freezing as this water looks- it's a comforting thought to think that in a few short months we'll be playing in this water again!!!    The thaw has officially begun;)


I also drove up towards Cameron Lake so that I could envy all the cool people who had ventured up there to do some snow skiing.  Perhaps I can convince John to do that with me this weekend....?   


Despite the fact that I was the only one up there NOT skiing or snowshoeing, I did get some beautiful pictures.    

Winter (especially February and March) can be such a dreary, ugly time.  Not in the mountains though. Thanks to the abundant green pine and the beautiful contrast of wild dogwoods - there is color everywhere, and it looks beautiful with a fresh blanket of snow.


I eventually made my way back down to the town site, and drove around one last time before heading back home.  

Oh, and I spotted THREE eagles without really having to look for them.
Another very promising sign that spring is on its way!!!

2 comments:

shauna said...

Gorgeous pictures! I'm so sad we didn't get to see you except in passing at the gates. You & John could borrow our other snowshoes and come with us next time...although it will probably be next winter now.

Lauren Andersen said...

i have the exact same sentiment: GORGEOUS PHOTOS!!!