Easter Weekend was a dream.
On Friday I did permit the kids to paint Easter Eggs. I swear though, I can only muster up the patience for this craft once a year. What a mess it can be! (Especially when your 9 year old decides that nail polish would be a handy artistic medium as well. Give me strength!!!;)

In an ironic turn of events this Easter weekend - Nate's fish died.
(You know, that dumb fish that Santa had foolishly bought him?) Nate seemed to handle it fine when we all discovered "FISHY" (that was his name) but perhaps John and I were a little too jubilant with our celebrations to notice otherwise. He apparently walked down the street to Jewel's house and could barely hold back the tears as he Brooke the news to them.
I'm sorry, but the thought of that still makes me laugh.
I think he was inspired to copy his cousins after the death of their bird months ago, but regardless of his motives, he invited my sisters family to our house the next day for a funeral.
Again, I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of it.
But imagine that- his supportive relatives actually showed up the next day at Nate's appointed time! (I wish I'd taken this all a little more seriously. I would have changed out of my jammies. Or at the very least - brushed my teeth;)

Mya had made up some perfect little funeral bulletins in Fishys honor, and his Aunts, Uncle and cousins all lined up to give Nate a handshake and some added support.
Nate took a minute to say a few silly words. Ava played "God be with you till we meet again" on the piano. We sang. We laughed. I cried. (but only from laughing too hard;) and that was that.

In the end, I don't really think his little Fishy Funeral was ever really about his fish.
It sure made Nate feel good though, and solidified in my heart that he is part of a pretty awesome family!
Speaking of that family, as if it wasn't awesome enough to get to see them at Fishy's funeral - Abby, Jess and I got to join Brooke, Ava, Mya and Jewel that night as we attended the Women's Broadcast together. We don't always get together before the general broadcast, but we've decided that when we do - we will try to make it extra special! This year, Jewel and I drove them around as they delivered white roses and chocolates to various women in our ward. Some women were single or widowed others were just on our minds, but they each seemed to be truly delighted with these young girls' deliveries.
A couple of the women even went out of their way to write letters or thank our girls, days after. One lady's husband had died exactly one year ago and the white roses to her were such a symbolic reminder of new life and Resurrection. Another women wrote the most lovely and gracious note to the girls telling them that she felt as though she'd had "angels" on her doorstep. I think the girls (at least mine did) became more aware of how appreciated this small act of kindness was by some.
After hurriedly making the deliveries we stopped off at DQ for supper before heading over to the stake centre to watch the broadcast together. The broadcast was an amazing meeting in which we were all encouraged to love those around us more.

I hope these darling girls remember the good feeling they had that night.
I certainly always cherish every opportunity (no matter how rare) to be with them!
No comments:
Post a Comment