Immediately following the last day of school, we loaded up the van (to the roof!) and headed off on our first camping adventure of the summer. John's brother Jordan and her family had already been in Canada for a week and we had plans to meet up with them in Waterton for a few days. I was a little surprised at how much stuff we needed to take with us. I mean, we didn't even have room for Nate, Sam and John! (They travelled behind us in our equally loaded down truck) I'm pretty sure we are going to have to streamline things for future trips.
I loved being able to camp over Canada Day. Though my kids may have missed the Canada Day fireworks, we did enjoy a Waterton style Bicycle Parade, a hike to Bertha Falls, Red and White Donuts up at Cameron Lake and time fishing with family.

John was more than happy to take kids out in the boat. I was shocked that some of these young nieces and nephews actually ended up being the most successful fishers of all!
Uncle Jordan introduced us to a fun tradition that I think I will implement as well. It consisted of a evening stop at a nearby hotel (Bayshore Inn) for desserts on the patio. Though I LOVED the idea (and the experience) I could see myself scrapping the whole "take the kids with you" part and just making this my own secret "sneak away and go when the kids aren't looking" kind of tradition.
Nothing better than desserts on the patio!
Well, okay - s'mores on the shore of a lake can be nice too.
I suppose I'm willing to be a little bit flexible about where I eat my desserts;)
On our last day in Waterton, we hiked to Lower Rowe. It was a beautiful hike, but HOT as heck! I spent most of the time feeling bad that I'd spent so much time convincing everyone that they'd love this one. Still a favorite of mine, I just may no longer claim that it is an easy, level stroll;)
(I may have lost a bit of credibility with that;)
Despite the heat and the uphill climb - these 8 kids hiked like champs! Even my youngest nephew Jaden walked most of the way and with an insanely small amount of complaint.
I was beyond impressed!
We spent one afternoon out at Walley's Beach.
It was a little too relaxing. While the kids played - I fell asleep sitting up! haha
The water was high and the amount of beach was very limited. Trust these kids to find enough sand to bury themselves in though;)
We spent one day in Glacier too! We picnicked at Lunch Creek and hiked 2 or 3 hikes, but mostly we drove up and down the "Going to the Sun Road" in search of parking stalls and bathroom stalls.
Seriously - when did Glacier get SO busy!!

John and his siblings often stopped and ate lunch at Lunch Creek. Seems appropriate to still do so every now and then;)

While in Glacier NP, John and I had both insisted that we take the relatives on a "stroll" (another one of those;) to Virginia Falls. The trail takes you through a forest that had been ravaged by wildfire only two years ago. It's a stunning hike, though when the weather is a balmy 37 degrees out - it is a hike that leaves you wishing for a bit of foliage overhead. Some shade would have made all the difference. A slight breeze would have been nice. A passing rain shower would have been a complete God send.
Luckily though- we were with the worlds best hikers.
Seriously- I'd hike with this family anytime. Did I say that already?

Luckily, Virginia Falls did not disappoint. In fact, she was roaring more fiercely than I had ever seen and you could hardly stand near the base of the falls without getting soaked completely.
Mother Nature (or really GOD) is absolutely divine. I'm never more certain of this than when I've spent a few hours outdoors.
The day before Jordan and Luci left for home, we went in to Lethbridge to connect with John's sister Rachel and her hubby Brent. They introduced us to the fun activity of a "Lock out Room" where you are essentially locked in a room and must solve a series of puzzles in order to advance to the end. It was much more enjoyable than I expected. (Despite the look on John's face - I think he really enjoyed it too! haha)
Though that usually is the case when they come to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment