This past month (mid May) the High School hosted its annual Native Honor Night and John and I were able to attend. I think this may have been the first time that John and I have made it to this event. It is geared towards celebrating the achievements of the schools graduating First Nation students. Most of the kids I work with each day are First nation students and so it was especially nice to see them recognized in this way.
Justice, Wade, Jaleel, Kodie, Joules, Larry, Logan, Luis, Tasia... all of them incredible students with really big stories. I could have just cried as I watched them.
At one point, towards the end of the ceremony one of the grads (Kaitlyn) called me up to the front and presented me with an Eagle Feather. All of the grads are given a pembleton blanket and an Eagle Feather of their own. I was not expecting to get a feather of my own!!
I have been reading about eagle feathers ever since. They are important to the First Nation people and symbolize a lot. Anciently, the belief was that Eagles were the ones to carry their prayers to their creator. It is actually not legal for a non Native person in Canada to have an Eagle Feather, unless it has been gifted to you by a native.
The night I received it, I was warned to be careful about how I display it, as there can be a fine if caught doing so incorrectly or disrespectfully. (John actually made a beautiful framed space for it, which I love.)
It was a huge honor for me, a sweet moment to be included by students that I admire so much, and something I will treasure always!
No comments:
Post a Comment